The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 20, 2013, 02:13 PM   #1
Farmland

Reloading extras if you had the money

I have to admit for as long as I have seen this I thought it was overprices and just something you do not need. However for some reason today after reloading 2,000 9mm I sure wished I had one.

I am talking about one of the most overpriced and really made for the lazy reloader.

Yes I can't believe I am going to say it but I would like to have a Dillon RF 100 Automatic Primer Filler in both large and small primers. For only $362.90 I would be in heaven.

However I think I will be left for the rest of my life filling 5 primer pick up tubes then refilling them. But I can dream.

What extra would you like?
Old June 20, 2013, 02:19 PM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Hornady Case Prep Station and a Hornady LnL progressive press.
Old June 20, 2013, 02:35 PM   #3
MEATSAW

One of those RCBS or Hornady automatic powder dispensers. $300 is a bit steep, so I will just do it the old fashioned way. But dang, that is pretty slick.
Old June 20, 2013, 02:52 PM   #4
kilimanjaro

Chain-drive linkage for a dozen Dillon 1050 presses....10,000 rounds per hour !
Old June 20, 2013, 02:52 PM   #5
serf 'rett

A Dillon 550 with four complete tool heads.

If I was stomping in the high cotton then it would be four 650 Dillons in my favorite calibers...

...and a range in the back "yard"!
Old June 20, 2013, 02:52 PM   #6
jwrowland77

Reloading extras if you had the money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Pfleuger View Post
Hornady Case Prep Station and a Hornady LnL progressive press.
+1 on this, plus the Hornady automated powder dispenser w/scale.
Old June 20, 2013, 03:51 PM   #7
schmellba99

Giraud case trimmer set up in .223, .30-06, 5.56 and .243 for my specific trimming needs (one for each).

Thumblers tumbler with sstl media for polishing brass

Case prep station, whether RCBS or Hornady I really don't care.

Another Chargemaster so that I can run 2 of them concurrently when loading my bolt action rounds - won't have to wait on one charge to finish.

A separate powder measure for my LnL AP for each caliber I reload so that all I have to do is swap out the entire assembly during a caliber change - would make it quick and easy(er).

I'm sure at some point I'll think of something else, but right now those luxuries would really have me sitting in reloading hog heaven.

Last edited by schmellba99; June 21, 2013 at 02:51 PM.
Old June 20, 2013, 05:02 PM   #8
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
One of those RCBS or Hornady automatic powder dispensers.
This!
I have dippers now for most of my regular charges, but still one of those would be great!
Old June 20, 2013, 05:21 PM   #9
Fire_Moose

Re: Reloading extras if you had the money

I'm going to agree with the "range in my backyard"
Old June 20, 2013, 05:24 PM   #10
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
+1 on this, plus the Hornady automated powder dispenser w/scale.
You guys who think an auto-dispenser is an "extra" had better not ever use one. It'll be a necessity in an instant! I wouldn't load rifle rounds without one.
Old June 20, 2013, 05:38 PM   #11
g.willikers

Pay someone else to do all the reloading.
Old June 20, 2013, 05:51 PM   #12
Paul B.

"One of those RCBS or Hornady automatic powder dispensers. $300 is a bit steep, so I will just do it the old fashioned way. But dang, that is pretty slick."

A couple of years back I got involved in a serious load work up for my ex-son in law. He'd just bought a Winchester M70 Featherweight in .300 WSM and a friend gave him a handload recipe which he insisted I use. Checked in my load manuals and while it was in a safe range, I told him to leave the gun with me, give me a couple of weeks to work up the load and a few others. He furnished the powder, brass bullets and primers. Turned out "his" load and the gun did not get along.
I tried getting that bullet to work but no go. I had to go to the gun store to get more components so my wife went along for the ride. While at the store I pointed out the RCBS Chargemaster 1500 and that one of these day I was gonna get me one of those. She said why not today? I did not have to be told twicw and wish I'd had one years ago. I'd quit using powders like 4831 because of what a PITA it was running them though a conventional measure.
I still use a conventional powder measure for loading handgun brass though.
Paul B.
Old June 20, 2013, 05:52 PM   #13
Beagle333

I'd pay somebody else to lube. I don't care how they do it.... I just don't wanna. (I only shoot my cast bullets)

(can Morgan Fairchild be considered a "reloading extra"?)
Have a Colt and a smile.

Last edited by Beagle333; June 20, 2013 at 06:46 PM. Reason: forgot spending was unlimited....
Old June 20, 2013, 05:58 PM   #14
csmsss

If I had all that much extra money, I'd buy more presses and dies and have a pre-setup station for all of the stuff I commonly load. I hate swapping out dies - they always seem to need some fiddling each time I reseat them.
Old June 20, 2013, 06:40 PM   #15
GWS

Shucks guys, as long as we're dreaming, I want a semi to pull up to the house full of components.....all mine......after I move to Montana to a 5,000 square foot log mansion, with it's own 24'x30' reloading room, filled with a dozen presses and enough complimentary equipment (and appliances) to keep them and ME all set up and running smoooth.....on the walk-out basement level, triple-glazed windows to the mountains (north) and a personal range starting right there, shooting benches set up for to shoot through slits in the windows at bench height, of course. Would definitely want a golf cart and snow mobile for range transportation.

Of course off the reloading room I'd have a component room to fit that semi load in, and a sound proof tumbler room full of wet and dry tumblers and a sink and water supply. Have I missed anything?

I'll never see any of that, but I'm good at dreaming big.

Last edited by GWS; June 20, 2013 at 06:46 PM.
Old June 20, 2013, 06:49 PM   #16
DennRN

If I had the money...
The ultimate gun candy - 100 acres of land in gun country to set up some private pistol and rifle ranges.
Old June 20, 2013, 08:48 PM   #17
BigD_in_FL

If I had the extra money, I wouldn't reload, I would buy factory.......
Old June 20, 2013, 08:52 PM   #18
serf 'rett

^Blasphemy!

Not reload..heavens forbid!

I'm sure you meant to say you would buy an ammo factory!
Old June 20, 2013, 09:08 PM   #19
lamarw

I feel rather blessed to be able to say I think I am happy with my reloading bench. I do not have the most expensive or elaborate reloading bench. I do have what I need to cover my firearms. (except for rimfires) It cover the amount and my kind of shooting. This includes all kinds of priming and powder handling devices.

To give an example of my wonderful "predicament": I have been reading and thinking about the steel pin tumblers. Here I am with two high quality ultrasonic cleaners (I also use for my clock collecting hobby) and a regular tumbler. So, I ask myself do I really need another brass cleaning aparatus? My range is outside my back door and not many people ever see my brass.
Old June 20, 2013, 09:25 PM   #20
stubbicatt

I don't know that it can be bought, but i would like more experience and greater ability.
Old June 20, 2013, 10:04 PM   #21
Fire_Moose

Re: Reloading extras if you had the money

Oh and a couple Dillan girls to bring me a beer and help with loads.
Old June 20, 2013, 10:30 PM   #22
jmorris

Quote:
Chain-drive linkage for a dozen Dillon 1050 presses....10,000 rounds per hour !
None of them are that fast.

Here is my computer controled 1050 that does take all of the work out of reloading.

http://s121.photobucket.com/user/jmo...O0114.mp4.html
Old June 21, 2013, 09:47 AM   #23
mjes92

No longer an extra. Just purchase a Chrony. Got tired of loaning a friends. I hate guessing.

Other than that any thing dealing with less case prep time. Top of the list would be a Dillon press mounted case trimmer. Sizing and trimming in one step just makes sense to me.
NRA - Life Member
Old June 21, 2013, 10:10 AM   #24
Farmland

Maybe I was a little too low in my needs.

I can tell you that if you have neighbors 100 acres is way to small, I know I have neighbors.

While I love speed I also like to be involved so for now automating the primers makes sense, plus easy on my vision. I guess I like the fun factor more than dumping out tons of ammo.

I would also settle for trying a roller handle, just having a problem replacing one that works for free. But it is on the list. The luxury of saving just a very small amount of time by having a large and small primer system for my 650. Really not much of a time saver but less things to change.

Funny I have never gotten around to adding the case feeder even after 20 years.

I could use one more single stage press, maybe the Hornady to go along with my Lee Classic Cast.

A redesign of my reloading room would be great. It is 20 X 40 on the second floor of one of my out buildings. So much I could do but just never gotten around to it. I think I may tackle this one later this summer.

Just some of my thoughts on making my reloading a little more fun and looking for the right equipment that will be used and not placed in a box. I certainly have bought items for reloading that I thought I needed only to never use them.
Old June 21, 2013, 02:41 PM   #25
BigJimP

I've been very happy for the last several yrs with my Dillon 650 and its case feeder.../ and while I reload for 6 handgun calibers....I don't need 6 presses / the quick change kits and tool heads all set up works just fine...

but if they would augment it with a hydraulic actuator vs cycling the handle down and back up ....that would be something I'd buy ( operate if off a foot pedal like a MEC 9000-HN shotshell press )....

I reload in my basement shop....and to me, that's way better than any out building...( its heated, no humidity, everything stays where I put it ...)....
----------
I don't think I want the auto fill primer system either.....I have 6 pickup tubes for small pistol and large pistol ....and that's 600 rds at one setting or about 40 minutes...and another 15 min to case gague each round and box them up ....that's a good hours work ...( 12 boxes )...and I don't want to sit down there for 5 or 6 hours and just load anyway...my butt, and brain, need a break once in a while...