The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 20, 2012, 08:27 AM   #1
Sure Shot Mc Gee

I got to get me another can just to have on hand.

Tried Ballistol for the first time on my 45 T/C Hawken's barrel. The stuff is remarkable. A little soak time. I then pumped so much crud out its opened nipple channel I was truly amazed. I guess I stuck around long enough here to learn something. Thanks for the Tip Gents.

Curious: How long have you been using Ballistol? How did you come to hear about it?

Last edited by Sure Shot Mc Gee; August 20, 2012 at 09:41 AM. Reason: Added the questions.
Old August 20, 2012, 10:41 AM   #2
Fingers McGee

Hey Cuz, Don't remember who put me on to it or when actually. I've been using it for at least ten years though. It works pretty well on smokeless too.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old August 20, 2012, 01:02 PM   #3
Hawg

I used it for awhile but got away from it. IIRC it was developed in Germany during WWII for their rifles.
Old August 20, 2012, 01:41 PM   #4
jmortimer

I like it - few products are actually good for metal, plastic, wood and so on.
Original CLP and non-toxic.
Old August 20, 2012, 04:29 PM   #5
Sure Shot Mc Gee

All I know is it works good in B/P rifles. I was experimenting with pyrodex and 2FF Black the other day. Alternating powders between shots. While changing ball weights and patch thickness's. I wanted to see if I could get a quick recovery on its second & third shots without having to swab hoping to keep its accuracy dead on. Got close but didn't quite win a Brass Ring out of the trying for it. So what (crud) gathered in the barrels breech plug really got burnt in. Ballistol just dissolved it all away. I've always managed to get my barrels bore pretty clean after a shooting secession in the past. But its breech plug was a whole different thing when it came time to trying to get it entirely cleaned out with store bought barrel soaps. I still like CLP better for its (outside surfaces) Inside its bore Ballistol straight out of the can from now on. The one who told me about this Ballistol stuff was mykeal I do believe. And a 2nd second from Hawg Haggen agreeing. I remember Hawg commenting about its smell. Short and to the point >Stuff stinks!! I have to agree with Hawg observation. >To some degree it sure does!!_
Old August 21, 2012, 05:14 AM   #6
Doc Hoy

Okay...

...Ya got me.

Next time I am at the LGS I am going to pick some up and give it a try.
Old August 21, 2012, 10:01 AM   #7
Hellgate

I think it was Germany's WWI gun lube. It was formulated in the early 1900s (1904 or 5?).
SASS#3302 (Life), SASS Regulator, NRA (Life), Dirty Gamey Bastards #129
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)
Old August 21, 2012, 02:02 PM   #8
Fingers McGee

From the Balistol website:

Ballistol has a long history in Germany and Europe. It was originally invented in 1904 by Dr. Helmut Klever for the German army to maintain the metallic parts of the soldier's rifle but also to protect the wooden stocks and his leather gear. The soldier was to use the same oil for the treatment of minor wounds, sores, and scratches. The Army tested it and adopted it in 1905 and it stayed in use until 1945. But the word had spread and within a decade hunters, boaters, motorists, hikers, mountaineers, and outdoorsmen in Germany, Austria, and Switzerland converted to the new multi-use oil.

To read the whole story of what Balistol is good on. Go here:

http://www.ballistol.com/1_Ballistol...r%20PROOF3.pdf
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old August 21, 2012, 03:45 PM   #9
Hawg

Older than I thought then. Cool.
Old August 21, 2012, 05:49 PM   #10
mykeal

I love the stuff.

Trout Hemingway cooked in Ballistol. Yum.

Seriously, I use it all the time. Very good stuff.
Old August 21, 2012, 06:32 PM   #11
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Thanks to Fingers McGee for his research of Ballistol. I thought it was a more recent product myself. Apparently not so. Dates on Ballistol's history are unusual for me though. My father was born in 1904 my mother was born in 1905. I was born in 1945. Maybe Ballistol and I were destined to make acquaintances afterall.
Old August 25, 2012, 04:26 PM   #12
btmckinney

Best price I found on the 16 oz. can of ballistol was $10 through cowboy shooters supply out of Oklahoma. Cannot use a credit card for smaller orders but had my ballistol in less than a week through the USPS. Sent a check for a couple of cans shiping was only about $5. cowboyshooterssupply.com