The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 7, 2006, 07:12 PM   #26
Duckdog

I have both the older style 4 hole turret, as well as the new classic turret. When I got the new press, only 1/2 of my existing turrets would work in the new press. They would not turn, period. I got out a micrometer and found that the old turret ring was larger than the new. I called them and asked them for some insight, as well as a new turret ring to try. All I got was to send it in!! At my cost! I did not even load one single round in it.

I did as instructed and in the end, they installed a new turret ring, and walla, every turret worked! Also, the primer feed groove was not notched out, so when the press would try to index, on the turrets that would work, the primer carrier would get stuck in the shell holder. When I spoke to them about that, they kind of made me feel like an idiot. Well, when it came back, it was machined out and again... it worked great.

I do love the press now, but I would have kind of liked to be re-imbersed for the shipping, as well as recieved an appology. I got neither.

I do know that it sizes anyhing that I throw at it easily and it does operate smooth now, but again.. it should have been done right the first time.
Old November 7, 2006, 07:49 PM   #27
amamnn

Weird--all my turrets work fine on either press
Old November 7, 2006, 09:30 PM   #28
cloudcroft

xjz,

Don't hijack this thread...we'd have to shoot you.

-- John D.
Old November 8, 2006, 08:16 PM   #29
Duckdog

I would have to say, after reading about the vast majority of threads stating theirs worked, that mine had a turret ring that was out of tollerance. The measurement of the groove on the one that didn't work was only a few thousands off, but that must have been the difference.

Like I said, now that it is working, I really like it. I only wish they would have put a little note saying it was their Boo Boo, but....it sure won't stop me from buying their products, if they have what I want.
Old November 8, 2006, 11:30 PM   #30
cloudcroft

Some time ago I read a post where the guy said his turret's die holes were off...IIRC, I believe they were not drilled perfectly vertical or something like that...a pretty major faux-pas if you will.

I hope Lee has better quality-control than that.

-- John D.
Old November 9, 2006, 12:04 AM   #31
xjz

Quote:
Don't hijack this thread...we'd have to shoot you.
Only if you can reload more rounds than me in a given amount of time.
Old November 9, 2006, 04:02 PM   #32
Nephilim-777

Quote:
I looked at that adjustment video link on Thursday night and Friday I went out and adjusted the auto index on the press and made another 200 rounds and it worked like a charm.
I had to do the same when I first set mine up. I haven't had to re-adjust it since.
Old November 9, 2006, 05:14 PM   #33
frankxd

I've had the Lee Classic Turret press for about 10 months now. I've reloaded about 2,000 rounds of .40 and have not had any problems. I use the Lee Auto Prime and Lee Perfect Powder Measure (with Charge Bar) with it, and all work as advertised. I couldn't be happier with my set-up!
Old November 16, 2006, 09:52 PM   #34
DMF38

I also have the Lee Classic Cast turret press. I can reload about 200 .45 colt rounds per hour with it. I had to slightly adjust the auto index feature after I got it. There's a video on the Lee website that shows how to do it, and it's really easy. I haven't had any problems with it, I could not be happier! Reliable, durable and consistent -- what more can you ask for? The safety prime system and Pro Auto Disk powder measure both work great too.