The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 13, 2012, 02:49 PM   #26
Doyle

FrankenMauser, I remember when I was living in Utah we used to judge how bad the winter was by the number of dead deer per mile we saw on the road. There were times when it was an exercise in futility to attempt to count the dead deer on the side of the road going up Provo Canyon.

I killed my first deer in Provo Canyon. I was poor student and didn't even own a deer rifle - having only brought a shotgun with me. My landlord loaned me his 1917 Enfield and a half box of Remington ammo.
Old March 13, 2012, 10:37 PM   #27
Gunplummer

I pick one up if I see it hit or someone calls me quick after seeing one hit. I am with the other guy, only take the good ones. A lot are just stepping out and the headlight cracks there head or breaks their neck and throws them back off the road. Most of the ones I have picked up are in better shape than a lot of deer I have seen shot with a gun.
Old March 14, 2012, 01:46 AM   #28
FrankenMauser

Quote:
FrankenMauser, I remember when I was living in Utah we used to judge how bad the winter was by the number of dead deer per mile we saw on the road. There were times when it was an exercise in futility to attempt to count the dead deer on the side of the road going up Provo Canyon.
Yep. About one day a week, my wife's first words after a long shift will be something like "Wow, there were 13 deer today" (referring to road-killed deer in an area along the Jordan River, on her way home).

We get about 3 times as many kills in the good years, as the bad.
Old March 14, 2012, 11:08 AM   #29
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Texas had a drouth in the mid-90s. On a trip to Austin, in the stretch between Fort Stockton and Fredericksburg (I-10/US 290) Fran and I counted 120-some roadkill deer and one cougar.

Even a sprinkle of rain has some runoff from the pavement to the borrow ditch, so there are more growies in the ditch than in the pasture behind the fence. So, more bugs, more little critters--and more deer.
Old March 17, 2012, 04:55 PM   #30
langenc

Around here the big crash season is coming-snow just melted off. Grass will green up along roads.

However, there are many less deer than in the 70s. Many hunters blame the insurance companies. People that feed em cause the problem to be increased.

On our small road fron Aug 1 to middle Oct there were 5 killed within 1/2 mi-that was late 80s. New neighbor has to feed everything. Five drivers got $2000 gift from her.