The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old January 18, 2012, 02:12 PM   #1
alex3737

Wisconsin rifle "registration"?

I just got a .22 rifle as a gift. In Wisconsin, is there anything I need to do to "register" this gun, or tell the state that i now own it?

From what i gather on the internet, there is no registration for rifles in Wisconsin, so I'm assuming I don't need to do anything with the gun other than enjoy it.

Is that correct?
Old January 18, 2012, 03:31 PM   #2
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

There is not gun registration in Wisconsin period. Buy it, shoot it, enjoy it, and be careful out there, practice safe gun handling and obey your local zoning laws. Misuse will get your gun gone and you won;t be able to buy another legally.

Quote:
It is unlawful for a person to possess a firearm if:

Convicted of a felony or found not guilty of a felony by reason of mental illness.

Committed to a mental institution and ordered not to possess a firearm.

Subject of a domestic violence, child abuse or tribal restraining order.

If adjudicated delinquent on or after April 21, 1994, for an act that if committed by an adult would be a felony.

It is unlawful to possess a firearm in, on, or within 1,000 feet from the grounds of a school (school zone). Exempt are private property not part of school grounds, school security guards, law enforcement officers, use in a program approved by the school, unloaded and in a locked container or in a locked firearm rack that is on a motor vehicle, and unloaded and possessed while traversing school ground for the purpose of gaining access to lands open to hunting if the entry on school grounds is authorized by school authorities.

Any pupil determined to unlawfully possess a firearm while at school or while under the supervision of a school authority, will be suspended and be subject to expulsion proceedings.
You don't violate these rules and nobody that matters will care that you have a gun
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old January 18, 2012, 06:56 PM   #3
hermannr

There is no "registration" of any weapons in WI (hand cannons included). Enjoy your new rifle. Be safe.
Old January 18, 2012, 09:06 PM   #4
Standing Wolf
Member in memoriam

Quote:
From what i gather on the internet, there is no registration for rifles in Wisconsin, so I'm assuming I don't need to do anything with the gun other than enjoy it.
You might thank whoever gave it to you, and it's also a good idea to clean it once in awhile. The four safety rules are:
  1. Always keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction.
  2. Always keep your finger off the trigger until you're ready to shoot.
  3. Always keep the gun unloaded until you're ready to shoot.
  4. Always know your target and what lies beyond it.
If you don't just follow, but live those four simple rules, the odds are extremely low you'll ever have or cause a safety problem.

Best of success with your new rifle, eh?