The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum > TFL Photo Contest

Old December 9, 2008, 01:38 PM   #1
Bud Helms

The November 2008 Winner is ...

Doogle! Again! An excellent photo.

Congratulations, Doogle!

Here's the winning photo:

Old December 9, 2008, 04:07 PM   #2
Doogle

Thanks Bud, and again thanks to TFL...>

...for running the photo comps over the past months. It's enjoyable to see all the pics submitted.

I had a bit of fun shooting this one.
Old December 10, 2008, 08:24 PM   #3
Freakdaddy

Congrats again Doogle! I agree, it is fun seeing all the pictures. Great job to everyone who participated!
Old December 10, 2008, 08:56 PM   #4
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

Doogle, how many times did it take to get that photo? Inquiring minds and all that....
Old December 11, 2008, 11:49 PM   #5
Doogle

Antipitas - Thanks. Some info on how this image was shot...>

This is a simulated shot of a Browning Hi-Power in action. It's an idea I'd had in mind for a while and this seemed a good a time as any to try it.

The idea was to portray the pistol in recoil with a spent cartridge case being ejected. To that end you can see the set-up I used for the base image below. An empty 9mm casing was attached to the opposite side of the locked-back slide using Blu-tac putty and a small wooden dowel. The case was positioned in an appropriate orientation to simulate one that had just been flung out of the ejection port.

The pistol was shot against a plain dark grey background, a large sheet of art paper curved up behind the pistol to form a seamless background. Lighting was via a diffused overhead lamp (fluorescent). In the working image below you can see the wooden dowel holding the 9mm case above the pistol. I held the pistol as still as I could as the shutter speed was fairly slow.

I removed the wooden dowel digitally leaving the case floating as desired. I also decided to move the case a bit higher than in the original image, and below you can see a working image as I was deciding just where to position the casing for best effect.

You'll note that in the image above the slide is still in reasonably sharp focus. In order to add a feeling of movement and to indicate that the slide was still in motion I blurred the slide a little whilst leaving the rest of the frame in sharper focus. It's not technically correct as in such a situation all parts of the pistol would be in movement in some direction. However, you sometimes only need to suggest some degree of movement to achieve an overall effect.

The image was now pretty-well complete. As a final touch I added a small amount of digitally created smoke curling out of the chamber.

Last edited by Doogle; December 11, 2008 at 11:51 PM. Reason: ...