The Firing Line Forums
Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > S.W.A.T. Magazine

Old March 14, 2007, 02:14 PM   #1
timothy75

Re-emergence of Steyr /mar07

I'm sorry but this is one of the worst gun reviews I've ever read. Theres about a page of words that makes for a decent intro, and then the article is over. The author didnt even bother to mention the caliber of the rifles! I would think Steyr would be upset for sending someone a couple 4 figure rifles only to have him write what reads like a ''what I did on my summer vacation'' review of them. I could sit here and in 1 hour write a better review without even seeing the rifles and I'm not a writer! So how much time did he really spend on that piece? For those who claim current gun writers are not like they used to be, I can find no better example than this one.
timothy75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2007, 08:17 AM   #2
Jeff Randall

I have to admit that I didn't read the article until this post brought it to my attention. After reading it, I thought it was pretty good if you're interested in what happened to Steyr. I viewed it more as a "Steyr's Back" article than a all-out gun review. Not to mention, when you have that many guns in one article it's hard to get too specific. Not trying to defend the author or the magazine here, but trying to write an article with limited word count due to page space is a pretty hard thing to do sometimes. Maybe I'm way off base and maybe the article does suck for those who are really into weaponry and the techs/specs behind them, but for me, as an average reader and shooter, I enjoyed the piece after I read it. The problem with most gun reviews, IMO, is when a reviewer starts talking about how good the groups are and all the technical data then it's all subjective, since my handling of the same piece may have huge variances. Especially since I'm no high-speed trained shooter. I'm the type reader that says "give me the basics in the article" and I'll go out and decide for myself whether it's right for me. Again, not trying to defend anyone here but writing, to me, is a hard thing to do when it comes to magazines.

On the bright side, you have to admit that was one cool photo on the 2-page spread holding the Steyr. Don't know who shot it, but it caught my eye.

Jeff
Old March 18, 2007, 02:40 PM   #3
GregR

Timothy,

The piece was intended as a general overview of some of Steyr's products and to inform readers of why Steyr seemed to disappear for a while - not an easy task in the 2,000 or less word requirement for feature articles. It was not intended as a full-length review of any gun.

Jeff,

Thanks for the kind words. I shoot all my photos.

Last edited by GregR; March 18, 2007 at 08:23 PM.
GregR is offline   Reply With Quote