The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 20, 2016, 06:27 AM   #1
Hdonly

Bobcat conversion

I picked up a .50 Bobcat several years ago from a friend that needed a little quick cash. Never fired it. It just sat in the gunrack. I guess mainly because I just don't like plastic stocks. Recently found an old friend that enjoys black powder shooting. He has an 1863 Springfield that was made from some original and some more modern parts. I decided to pick up a wood stock and see if I could put the metal works from the Bobcat in the wood stock. Took some refitting and cutting, sanding and file work, but It came together pretty well I think. The barrel channel was 7/8" Bobcat barrel is 15/16. The trigger guard had to be cut off the trigger modified some. Bought a brass trigger guard in the rough that had to be modified and polished. That took a while as all finishing was done by hand. It turned this gun into one I really enjoy shooting now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 450724.jpg (41.0 KB, 140 views)
File Type: jpg P6261130b.resized.JPG (238.4 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg P6261129b.resized.JPG (118.8 KB, 517 views)
Old July 20, 2016, 08:49 AM   #2
drobs

Looks good!
Old July 20, 2016, 01:32 PM   #3
Pahoo

Nice Work !!!

I don't see a question in here but if you are just showing us you project, I have to compliment you as you have put it closer to being; "In-The-Spirit". Very nice work and looking forward to your next project. We use the same model to teach Hunter Safety, M/L's .......

Be Safe !!!
Old July 21, 2016, 09:03 AM   #4
deerslayer303

It looks GREAT! Nice work! Although I can see a purpose for a light weight side lock, as is the Bobcat in factory trim. Not my cup of tea but I cam see a purpose for them. The ole TC Hawken or GPR gets heavy pretty quick on a lengthy woods walk. BUT when it comes time to bust that cap unsupported all that weight makes me smile.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old July 21, 2016, 11:49 AM   #5
rightside

If you were low on funds or didn't want to invest a lot of cash in black powder until you tried it , the Bobcat was a great way to go about it. I paid $69.00 for one years ago so I could go BP deer hunting with a friend . I had never done it before. That little light weight Bobcat really performed well. I was thinking about something similar to what you did , but never seemed to get around to it . Your efforts paid off nicely!
Old July 21, 2016, 03:01 PM   #6
Hdonly

Thank you all for the compliments. I was just so happy that it turned out as it did that I just wanted to see what others thought. I too can see the use of the Bobcat as it is. I just like metal and wood in a rifle. It is just more fun to shoot when you like the way it looks and feels.I have shot it more in the last few months than I did in the several years I owned it in it's original form. I used to own an Old Army in the early 1980's. Sold it for some reason that I don't understand now. This rifle has really gotten me interested again in black powder shooting. Thanks again all.
Old August 14, 2016, 06:30 PM   #7
Ozzieman

You just proved that you can take one ugggly dog and turn him into a show dog.
I've always felt that plastic stocks on a traditional C&B rifle should be outlawed by the feds,
Nice job. I like it.

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old August 15, 2016, 08:07 PM   #8
Tidewater_Kid

It turned out real nice!

TK