The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 2, 2015, 08:59 AM   #1
Tangentabacus

12ga Wax Slug: Effective for home defense?

Hey everyone,

I've been dabbling in making my own custom (read: weird) loads for my Mossberg 590A1 which I use as one of my home defense guns along side my AR and 1911.

I've put quite a bit of thought into it and the long stretched out style ranch house I live in isn't the best to defend with a .45. Though adequate it just doesn't give me the reach I kinda need (about 150ft give or take). So I've turned to using my shotgun... Birdshot obviously isn't ideal for home defense so knock that off the list. Buckshot... Eh... I mean I just don't trust it for home defense at that distance, but probably would be fine. Slugs on the other hand I feel would be the best round, but with a slug I'm very concerned about collateral damage. My neighbors are pretty far away, but hitting someone in the house other than my intended target is not the goal.

So, after some tinkering and lots of YouTube I've started loading weird rounds for my shotgun using the empty, refill with wax and assorted items method. These rounds so far have turned otherwise harmless target loads into a devastating force. I'm reliably getting out past 200+ feet with my loads. Another thing I'm noticing is fragmentation... I was shooting them at a steel plate getting closer and closer and multiple layered targets to kinda gauge their spread on impact. When they don't straight go through my target the "splash" zone is quite impressive. I can't exactly offer proof but I can say fairly certainly that they are spreading quite a significant amount on target which maybe would help them from penetrating too far after impact with a bit of sheetrock or a bad guy.

I know my argument for wax slugs comes from little experience and little to no scientific information, but what do you guys think?
Old January 2, 2015, 10:12 AM   #2
dahermit

A 12 Gauge 3 inch with number 4 buckshot has 41 pellets. I have seen how effective it is on deer out to 40 yards. However, I would not trust that to not penetrate two 1/2 thickness of wallboard at close range.

Given the chances of someone actually breaking into your home and you having to use deadly force is not all that great, you are likely over-analyzing the problem. If you have to shoot at someone, and a family member is unseen, albeit, in the line of fire beyond your target, is even less of a certainty. "What ifs" will drive you to distraction. Keep a loaded weapon handy and adapt it to the circumstances when and if it happens.

Myself, I would not bother with wax projectiles in a 12 gauge...unless of course you just wish to experiment.
Old January 2, 2015, 10:30 AM   #3
Tangentabacus

Wise advice.

However viable wax slugs may or may not be versus a different type of round is something I can't really argue too much due to a simple lack of knowledge, but I should point out that the topic is more for discussion and entertainment value. Even if it's a wee bit pointless. And if I were honest the primary reason I keep a loaded gun in my home is to ward off fuzzy wuzzy, not so much for the two legged critters.

What else am I supposed to do around these parts? I get like 3 hours of usable day light each day. Best way I figure to spend my time is to be on the internet and see what more knowledge I can gain from people with vastly more experience than I.

But, really? I thought buckshot had a similar spread to say, bird shot, when no choke was applied.
Old January 2, 2015, 10:43 AM   #4
Dreaming100Straight

I wouldn't use wax slugs for defense purposes. Try reading this old thread and others on problems with what are called cut slugs and especially the potential for fouling your barrel. Pay attention to Zippy13's posts.

Then consider reduced penetration and reduced lethality.

Should you ever have to use them for defense, the likelihood of which is slim, you wouldn't want a prosecutor making a point about how you made the deadly ammunition.

You will have a hard enough time trying to explain why you were in imminent threat from someone 150 to 200 feet away, depending on your state's laws; most of which pretty well limit self defense to within a home or other structure. (Castle Laws)

For defense, stick with factory made.
Old January 2, 2015, 11:20 PM   #5
Rob62

I am going to side with the argument to stick with factory loads for home defense. I think that overall there are too many downsides to making your own "home brewed" ammo.

My recommendation is to get as many different slugs and buckshot shells as you can afford and test them in your speciffic gun to see which will pattern the most accurately / shoot the best. I have found that the reduced velocity buffered buckshot rounds and many reduced velocity slugs shoot extremely well in a cross spectrum of my shotguns.

Does your shotgun have a dedicated light on it ? I.E. A Surefire forend light ? That without reservation is the first thing I would look at after deciding on any gun for home defense.

Personally, I use a Glock G22 and an CAR style AR15 for my HD needs - and I do have shotguns I could use. But my contention is that if "long" shots would be necessary, a carbine would be best to take those shots with.

Regards,

Rob