The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 24, 2013, 07:03 PM   #1
cryogenic419

Powder thru die for progressives

I've looked but so far I have not found exactly what I am looking so I thought I would ask.

What I am looking for is a die that I could use in my progressive that would allow powder thru, and would have a hole large enough so I could dump powder thru or some sort of a funnel either permanently attached or threaded on. The die would be tapered on the inside to accommodate different sized cases. This would not expand cases, simply sits there to facilitate dumping powder thru so that it all makes it in the case.

I know...doesn't make sense for a progressive right?? Some powders don't meter well so I use the RCBS Chargemaster to dole out powder and right now I use a funnel in what is normally the powder measure station. The problem is I have to raise the ran, put the funnel over the brass, drop the powder, drop the ram and yank the funnel back out because it extends too far down and causes problems when indexing. The workflow is definitely faster using the progressive and funnel than trying to set all the cases aside and charge them individually.

Does anything like this even exist?

Last edited by cryogenic419; December 24, 2013 at 08:04 PM.
Old December 25, 2013, 12:37 PM   #2
flashhole

I like to charge cases manually but I don't have a progressive like you are asking about. I use the Lee Classic Turret press which is very similar in operation. Lee makes a Rifle Charge Die with a sliding sleve insert designed to be used with their powder drop. It fits cases up to 338-06 down to 22 Hornet.

If, like me, you choose not to use an automatic powder drop you can use the receiver (part of the die) that accommodates the Lee Funnel. I use the Lee Dipper Cups with this setup to charge the case. All Lee powder through pistol dies have the same design as do the 45-70 and similar "straight" rifle cases.

Here are two pics. One with my 25-06 dies, the other with my 221 Fireball dies. Those cases are as far apart in size as will work with the Rifle Charge Die. Notice the mix and match of dies. Plenty of height on the die so the funnel sticks up above the die body w/o interference. The die will not allow charging 7mm Rem Mag and similar cases. I mde an iquiry to Lee asking if they have plans for a similar die to work with Magnum cases.

Are you ready for civil war?
Old December 25, 2013, 05:13 PM   #3
cryogenic419

This seems to be EXACTLY what I had in mind. This comes with everything except the funnel???
Old December 25, 2013, 05:23 PM   #4
flashhole

Yes, the Rifle Charging Die and Funnel are two separate purchases. I was doing the same thing you described with a funnel I cut down to size to work on the Lee turret. This setup is much better.

What cartridge are you loading?

Old December 25, 2013, 05:24 PM   #5
flashhole

I bought the Rifle Charging Die and Funnel on eBay. Die was ~$15 to my door. Funnel was real cheap.

Old December 25, 2013, 05:52 PM   #6
BigJimP

Not to be argumentative.....but if some powders don't meter accurately enough in my Dillon 650 press, with their powder measure..... I'd find a better powder to meet my needs ... ???

For handguns especially -- there are so many versatile powders, like Hodgdon TiteGroup and Hodgdon Universal, that in fact, do meter very accurately and consistently ...maybe you have something wrong with your powder measure.
Old December 25, 2013, 07:57 PM   #7
cryogenic419

Its for 223 plinking loads mainly and unfortunately changing powder is not an option. Powder is Varget and I'm sitting on 16 lbs of it, it just doesn't meter as consistent as I'd like. Tried it in both Hornady LNL and RCBS Uniflow measures, too much variance.

Also planning on using this for 10mm loads with 800X.

Everything else I use meters just fine, its just these 2 loads. Strangely Varget meters fine once I up the powder charge for .308 loads...shrug.
Old December 25, 2013, 08:28 PM   #8
flashhole

It will take a few rounds of 223 to use up 16 pounds of Varget. The above setup will work well for your purpose. You will likely develop a dropping technique pouring the powder into the funnel that gives a long drop into the case. Even though you are doing it manually it goes fast once you get your rhythm. I also have a Redding BR-3 powder measure but prefer this method of charging on the turret.

I migrated away from Varget in favor of H-4895 for my 223. My go-to bullet is the Sierra 63 grain Semi Point. Great combo in my Kimber Longmaster Classic.

Good luck.

Last edited by flashhole; December 28, 2013 at 07:46 AM.
Old December 25, 2013, 10:00 PM   #9
Lost Sheep

yes, funnel is extra ($4)

flashole beat me to the answer I was going to post. But he provided pictures, so kudos to him for speed and for thoroughness.

The Lee funnel is sized to exactly fit the collar that comes with the Lee Powder-Thru die. They are meant to work together.

If you want to use the Lee Auto-Disk Powder Measure, you simply unscrew the collar from the die and screw the Auto-Disk Powder Measure onto the die.

There have been attempts made (some successful) to mount other powder measures than the Auto-Disk onto the Lee die. That is powerful testimony to the efficacy of the Lee powder-thru die. But I believe Dillon also has a powder-charging die that would work for you if you have enough stations. I imagine that Hornady has something, too.

What brand of Progressive are you using?

Lost Sheep
Old January 21, 2014, 06:30 PM   #10
cryogenic419

Thank you again for pointing me in the right direction, I would have never known this existed.

I'm running this on a LNL AP.
Old January 21, 2014, 07:11 PM   #11
tobnpr

Asked the same question in December...

Dillon's inserts are the answer.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=537692
www.biggorillagunworks.com
Old January 22, 2014, 08:34 PM   #12
totalloser

Huh, I have had really good luck with the Lee powder measure. They are cheap enough you might give it a try. I have used several ball and one flake type with consistently good results.

The only issues I have had with mine (I have a couple of them) is that sometimes fine ball (blc-2 win748 and acc#5) gets under the disc and allows more to wiggle in. Not much escapes and charge doesn't vary measurably, but just irritating. The other is my auto trim setup settles powder and drops a heavy if there is an empty slot in the shell holder. But I think that would be a problem with any measure.

Might save you a LOT of time. You will want the double disc kit for .223 if you get one.
Old January 23, 2014, 04:17 PM   #13
schmellba99

How much variance are you getting with Varget?

I loaded up about 350-400 .223 rounds in my LnL AP over Christmas and never had more than a .2 grain variance on any round I checked (about every 50 or so).

I use a small plastic headed mallet and tap the rotor on the die 2x before the powder dump into the case. Seems to work, and I still get the advantages of a progressive press (admittedly slower than when I use something that meters great like H335, but still far better than manually dumping the charge).
Old January 23, 2014, 05:04 PM   #14
Xfire68

I recently started using my Lee Disk Pro on my LNL AP to use 800x for 10mm.

I had zero luck using it with the LNL powder drop. It would jam up every time.

The Lee Disk Pro drops perfect every time and I have used it with Varget on my 4 hole turret without issues as well.

Old January 23, 2014, 05:31 PM   #15
flashhole

Wait .... can it be that someone actually used the words Lee and perfect in the same sentence! Your are my hero.

Old January 23, 2014, 07:00 PM   #16
Xfire68

I have to say that although I have not used every powder measure out there the ones I have used the Lee Auto Disk Pro has been the most consistent and accurate. It seems a bit flimsy but, it has loaded thousands of rounds without issue over the last 4-5 years.