The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old July 27, 2013, 11:55 AM   #1
Old 454

Kake Kutters

Can any one tell me what size shell I would need for .357 and 9MM to make Kake Kutters.

I found that a fired 45-70 works perfect for .45 cal.

thanks
Old July 27, 2013, 12:01 PM   #2
Beagle333

I used a .357 shell for .357, but I expanded it to .358 by driving a Lee expander all the way down into it (drive a tap, pull it out, tap again, pull it out..... or you'll never get it out!) and it works pretty well. I drilled out the primer hole for a nail/plunger.

I dip em, and then cut em.... it's messy, but it works.
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old July 27, 2013, 12:35 PM   #3
Old 454

hummm a 358 expander die ? I might have to run to my LGS to see if they have one
Old July 27, 2013, 12:39 PM   #4
Beagle333

Not an expander die.... but the expander/bullet seating stem from a LEE Classic Loader. Perhaps if your bullet expander die made em .358, you could screw it down all the way and try that... but here is the thread explaining how I did it. YMMV.
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=497855
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old July 28, 2013, 02:20 PM   #5
Mike / Tx

Pretty easily made using an old golf club if you have one laying around. If not head over to a Goodwill store or look around in garage sales for one.

What I did was heat up the head so that the epoxy melted enough to pull the shaft out. After that I cleaned up the insides, and used my digital caliper to measure the thickness. I then just worked my way up the outsides until I got to the size I needed and used my dremmel tool with a cut off blade in it to chop it right off. Take a file and chamfer tool and clean up the end so it is square and deburred and then all thats left is to cut to a comfortable to use length.

If your lucky and find one of the older shafts that is graduated about every 6 or so inches to a larger size it makes it real easy to cut it maybe a half inch or so above the proper size, then when your shoving it down over you bullets, they simply run right up the middle and you can get 6 or 10 before having to dump it out.