The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 2, 2017, 06:52 PM   #1
308Loader

lyman tmag

hello. I have an opportunity to buy a older Lyman tmag turret kit for about $100. looks like all the parts are their. currently I am running a lee breachlock and lee 4 hole turret. I have no issues with both, each serve their purpose. this lyman looks to be a good deal and I'm a sucker for those. looking for opinions on the lyman press. limitations, issues, strong points... looks to be the older version, is orange in color, comes with mod 55 powder dispenser, trimmer and other goodies.
Old December 2, 2017, 07:03 PM   #2
jmorris

I have one, it won’t do anything the presses you have won’t do except cost you $100.

The measure, trimmer and other “goodies” might make it worth it though.
Old December 3, 2017, 05:41 PM   #3
308Loader

Well, I guess I'm a impulsive buyer , couldn't pass up the deal. Seller wanted $150, after seeing the surface rust on most all of the parts we settled on $80. The whole kit is unused, but looks like it was stored underwater for some time. boxes and books have black mold on them, anything metal has a nice coat of surface rust.

Kit included:
Lyman 6 hole turret press, universal trimmer, trimmer pilot pack, extra decapping pins, #55 powder dispenser, case lube kit, auto primer feed kit, #500 scale, funnel, champhor and debur tool, and case neck tool with 3 brushes.

Didn't really need more reloading equipment, but I did want to upgrade my trimmer. I have the Lyman accutrimmer that uses a shell holder and has I tiny T handle screw to hold the case, PITA to use in volume. The kit I picked up has the PN#7862000 universal case trimmer with the fancy quarter turn locking thingy.

WD40 seems to have removed the majority of the rust, is their anything you all would recommend to remove or smooth out the rest?

Any one want a beam scale or other non press related parts?
Old December 3, 2017, 05:49 PM   #4
308Loader

Thinking of using the press as a case prep tool. Would like to size, trim and ch/db on the turret. looking for a good press mounted trimmer. Any suggestions?