The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 24, 2005, 01:12 AM   #1
cdc

Very excited, my trap gun search is finally over, a Beretta 391 is the one I chose...

I pick up my new Beretta AL391 Teknys Gold Trap November 2nd!

Because I am new to trap it took forever for me to decide on a gun. Hours upon hours of research, asking questions (here and with competition shooters), shooting a few different type of guns, including different type of actions led me to finally end up with the gun above. I want to thank everyone that so patiently answered all of my questions, it was much appreciated. Many toys (I mean guns ) out there to choose from. All had their pros and cons. Even though I spent much more then I originally wanted to or expected to (typical of everything I buy), the Beretta AL391 Teknys Gold Trap seemed like the best choice for me. Actually I would probably be happy with a trap model AL391, I just decided to go all the way and was able to close wifey on being ok with it.

Can't wait to go out and pattern the new gun and then go out and shoot with friends.

cdc
Old October 24, 2005, 07:26 AM   #2
K80Geoff

So much for a gun in the $400-500 range!
Old October 24, 2005, 07:32 AM   #3
PJR

Excellent choice. It is the best semi-auto shotgun for clay targets IMHO. Did you get the 30 or 32" barrels?

Also, you might want to consider a shell catcher if you are shooting trap. Prevents your shells from hitting the gun to your right.
http://www.tandsshellcatcher.com/
Old October 24, 2005, 02:03 PM   #4
cdc

PJR, I got the 30" barrel, 12 ga. I am planning a few mods to make it my dream shooter, so we will see after I have put some rounds through it.

K80Geoff, I just could not find anything near that price range that satisfied what I wanted! I did see, closely examine and swing a K80, very, very nice - except the price, would have put the sexy blond (wifey) in traction! While I was carefully examining the K80 and a couple of other break open expensive high end guns, they all recommended for me to get a 391, that is what intrigued me.

I do appreciate all the input from you guys, thank you!

cdc
Old October 24, 2005, 05:49 PM   #5
PJR

The reason for the barrel question is that I have a 391 Sporting model with a 30" barrel that I use as a back up gun when I'm not shooting my o/u.

I was thinking about doing a little more trap shooting and getting a 391 Trap model and wondered about the handling differnces with the 32" barrels.

If you're thinking about doing some mods you might want to consider these guys. They do some really nice work on the 391.

http://www.ncp.com/
Old October 25, 2005, 01:10 PM   #6
cdc

PJR, I can't assist with the barrel length, no experience, new to trap. I did read in James Russell's book that there is not much of a difference between a 30" - 34" barrel when it comes to handling. The benifits of a longer barrel become relevent for the handicap distances. Longer barrel= longer sight plane. And thanks for the link.

cdc