The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 3, 2009, 06:15 PM   #1
Solvo Pium

Location: Where it is normally warm and hot 9 months out of the year.
Dillon 550 B question

Great advice out there!! We loaded about 30 rounds this weekend (after shooting factory) and a question I have is this. I have a Dillon 550B. Everything has been calibrated for .223. We started one casing at a time, and measured each and every one that popped out into the blue catch container. NOW HERE IS THE PROBLEM, when I had a casing in the 3rd die for setting the bullet into the case, and I had a case in the 2nd which is where the gunpowder dispenses, while the powder dispensed, the 3rd stage would not go up completely to set the bullet. I think, and I am a newbie as they come, I think I have the die in station 2 for the gunpowder too low, thereby preventing the 3rd stage from having the bullet set correctly.

Soooo, if I described it in detail enough for a visual, does anyone have a suggestion? I sent one to Dillon, but it's Sunday. Thanks. Hope all had a good weekend
Old May 3, 2009, 06:40 PM   #2
Shoney

It most likely is the powder station is too low.

Screw the powder die out 5-6 turns. With cases in each station, run the ram up to top dead center and hold it there. Now screw the die down by hand until it cannot be turned any more and back it off 1/16 - 1/8 turn, and lock it in.

Load a few, testing to make sure the powder charge is correct and the seating depth is correct. Adjust as necessary.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old May 3, 2009, 06:51 PM   #3
dmazur

From the Dillon 550B manual -

Quote:
On rifle cases the (powder) die should be adjusted so that the powder funnel will contact the mouth of the case and then fully actuate the powder bar, Fig. 20 & 21. These adjustments are accomplished with a case in the shellplate and alternately raising and lowering the operating handle, while adjusting the powder die, Fig. 19. When properly adjusted, the powder bar will be moved to its full rearward position by the case, Fig. 20 & 21. When you have determined that your adjustments are correct, tighten the lock ring and the locking collar.
Following this are instructions to attach the powder measure fail safe rod, which makes sure the powder measure returns to its full forward position.

IMO, the key is whether you are fully operating the handle for station 2. If the handle is not all the way down, then you are correct, you have the powder die too low. The instructions imply that you alternately raise and lower the operating handle completely, and adjust the powder die down until the powder bar moves full to the rear.

I'm kind of wondering how your resizing die is adjusted. It should be very close to the shellplate when the shellplate is fully raised. If you have it adjusted for proper resizing, then the shellplate is hitting it early and this should prevent it from rising further to perform bullet seating at station 3.

Any chance of a better explanation? From what you're describing, I can't follow the problem...