The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old August 31, 2007, 10:15 AM   #1
Ericmower

Tactical Literature

I am a young man trying to scrape up enough for range ammo at the time for my small gun collection. I am on standby for my concealed carry permit and I want literature detailing concealed carry and methods of tactical (and practical) firing. I would love to attend classes with an expert showing me the way but as funds are tight reading will have to suffice. Any recommendations would be much appreciated.
Old August 31, 2007, 10:29 AM   #2
ragwd

The best book I have ever read on the subject is " STRESS FIRE " by Massad Ayoob. Available from amazon.com used for 7 bucks. Ayoob's books are good but this is his best. IMHO
Old August 31, 2007, 07:10 PM   #3
Michael Anthony

+1 on Ayoob's Stressfire. It doesn't have much to do with concealed carry or the law or anything like that. It is a very practical guide on using your weapon under stressful conditions.
Old September 1, 2007, 02:08 AM   #4
ragwd

For ccw Ayoob has a very informative book "In the Gravest Extreme" also one by David Kenik "Armed Response"
Old September 2, 2007, 04:59 PM   #5
.351winchester

cheaperthandirt.com has the gunvideo.com concealed carry series for 20 each plus shipping. there are three, never seen them but imagine the first is nothing, stuff you already know or irrelevant.
I like books cause you can get real in depth, but personally learn more with a combination of reading and dvd instructionals. Gun dvd's however sometimes have a HELL of a lot of filler in them. And are insanely overpriced-may be a fraction of hands on training, but is still just a dvd, come on. I saved all my gun magazines or most, there are lots of old instructional articles (showing various common methods) for like, low light, weapon retention, clearing jams, finding cover/concealment on the street, shooting on the move, etc. I picked up a lot from those old mags, the ones I've read in the last few years don't do that anymore.
Shooting USA and Personal Defense TV (I don't know if it's still on the air) have tons of good tips. If you get the outdoor channel.

Another vote for Stressfire and other Ayoob work. Also, check out Gabe Suarez's tactical books. He's a great writer and comes across in a down to Earth way, entertaining too.

it sucks how hard and expensive it is to get quality training. If I was qualified I'd do it just to kill some time and help somebody out. As it is, it's hard to afford media to teach yourself how to survive with a gun.