The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 11, 2007, 01:19 AM   #1
Kenskip1

1858 New Army Texas 44

OK guys, I am a new member so please go gently.I have been lurking about trying to decide about witch BP pistol to purchase.I have not made up my mind but the 1858 New Army Texas 44 seems to win hands down. What I like about this one is that I will be able to change the cylinder with no tools. I will most likely buy this from Cabela's.
Does any members happen to have this firearm? How well is this built?Any issues with it? I am on a budget so I will not get anything expensive. I have learned a lot in just a few short days in this forum, Thanks Ken in Texas
Old July 11, 2007, 04:30 AM   #2
Jamie C.

I think you'd be happier if you spent the extra $20 and got the one with the steel frame here:
1858 New Army .44 Caliber Revolver

J.C.
Old July 11, 2007, 01:46 PM   #3
Johnywinslow

I have the same pistol , the cyleander stop broke after 200 rds of light 25 gr loads. I was like you and didnt know better, sense then Ive done alot of research and brass frame revolvers are just displays that can shoot! Always get steel or stainless steel if you can afford it! but The 159.00 i spent on the brass frame served its purpose, it got me hooked on B.P. shooting.
Old July 11, 2007, 05:02 PM   #4
taralon

The cabela's models are Pietta, so there are sometimes quality control issues with the interior parts. The springs, the hand, the trigger are sometimes not tempered right, or not hardened right and break/wear quickly. A few of them aren't timed very well either, but that can be fairly well checked by running through the "buying a used revolver" checklist when picking up your model.

+1 to the steel frame though. Pietta's brass frames aren't bad, but they are really only meant for light loads, and the occasional full bore load. Their steel frames are quite tough though. Additionally if you aren't already a black powder revolver shooter, get Cabela's revolver kit. It'll give you all the little things, powder measure, some cleaning supplies, jag, brush, capper, nipple wrench, and costs less than buying those seperate. Plus it gives you a few balls and such.
Old July 11, 2007, 06:12 PM   #5
Kenskip1

1858 New Army Texas 44

First off thanks for the replies.
I was reading the comments in the Cabelas web site. From the reviews that they have printed I wonder if all or any of this is true? I will go with the steel frame when I do make a purchase.Dose anyone have anything good to say about this piece?Shooting accuracy?Thanks Ken
Old July 11, 2007, 07:15 PM   #6
taralon

Accuracy is decent out of the box. Often they shoot a bit low in my experience but that is better than shooting too high. Easy to take a little off the front sight, not so easy to add some onto it.

As I mentioned before they sometimes have issues with the internal parts. It is hit or miss though. Either they fail fairly quickly or pretty much not until a long time down the road. Most of the handguns at cabelas are really purchased, shot a few times and then put away. Cabelas has a good return policy on their BP firearms as well. So if you get a bum one, don't hesitate to take advantage of it.

I've a friend who has a steel framed remington from cabelas. He bought it in store out of their bargain cave for about half price. It wouldn't function when he got it. After getting a 'rebuild' kit from the bargain cave once again (half price) he hasn't had a single issue with it. My father owns a cabela's bought colt navy, which has over 1000 rounds through it, and nary a problem.

As an entry piece I think Uberti built guns are a little better as they very rarely have function issues, but they are fairly more expensive. If you decide later on to upgrade, or that BP is simply not for you, the resale on them is pretty good for a gun that is well taken care of. I've seen well cared for used pistols at trade blankets at SASS or CAS matches bring 90% of their new price.
Old July 29, 2007, 11:35 AM   #7
Fred_Fred

I have an 1858 new army target model I got from Cabelas last March. I've shot about 500 rds through it with no problems. Best I can seem to do is a 6 inch group at 25 yds. I use 33-34 grains of pyrodex "P", a wonder wad, and a .454 ball. I went with the 454's because the 451's sometimes wouldn't shave an entire circle of lead when seating. I tried some .457's to see what it would do for accuracy and it went to h....... and in fact I think it slightly scored the barrel. Anyway, just watch the "hand" when you take it apart for a good cleaning - it's easy to bend the spring on it.

Good luck!

Last edited by Fred_Fred; July 29, 2007 at 11:58 AM. Reason: 25yds, not 50...duh
Old July 29, 2007, 11:37 AM   #8
Fred_Fred

P.S. I've heard a brass frame can give you problems if you shoot a lot...
Old July 30, 2007, 07:29 AM   #9
sundance44s

I`ve seen the long barreled Remington some where with a steel frame ...problem is I don`t remember where I saw it ...sorry
Old August 2, 2007, 11:50 PM   #10
BigBang

Quote:
I`ve seen the long barreled Remington some where with a steel frame ...problem is I don`t remember where I saw it ...sorry
Cabelas sells the "buffalo" revolver in stainless...however quite a bit more expensive.