The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 18, 2013, 02:03 PM   #1
Pops1085

Slingshot or slide release on 1911?

I just bought my first 1911 and I've been watching videos of other people doing drills with theirs. Anyways I see some people who hit the slide release and others who pull back on the slide and let it slap forward. What do you do and why?
Old March 18, 2013, 02:11 PM   #2
TunnelRat

I use the slingshot. Why? Because the slide is generally in the same place on every gun.
Maintain situational awareness
Old March 18, 2013, 02:29 PM   #3
cohoskip

The Marine Corps taught me to use the slingshot method on the Colt .45

NRA Life Member
Old March 18, 2013, 02:39 PM   #4
Gaerek

Many people who shoot in competitions (IPSC, IDPA, etc), you'll see using the slide release. People who are more about training for self defense tend to us the slingshot, or over the top method. Both have their advantages and disadvantages.

Using the slide release is quicker. But hitting that button is considered a find motor skill, which under stress can be tough. Besides, every gun has the slide release in a different spot, so it makes it difficult to train to hit it accurately.

Slingshot or over the top method are gross motor skills. They're much easier to do under stress, and every semiauto can release the slide this way. The biggest drawback is that it's usually a bit (we're talking fractions of a second) slower.

Since I'm more about self defense, and less about competition (I still compete, but my competition is to strengthen my ability to defend myself) I use the over the top method.
Old March 18, 2013, 02:48 PM   #5
BigJimP

I use both ....no reason not to ....for tactical practice or otherwise...in my opinion.
Old March 18, 2013, 02:59 PM   #6
RickB

Quote:
I use the slingshot. Why? Because the slide is generally in the same place on every gun.
That's not the reason why I chose slingshot, but it's a side benefit. I'm a lefty, and could not find a way to consistently release the slide using the slide release/stop. I can reach it easily with my trigger finger, but I don't have the leverage to easily operate it on some guns, and training the fingertips of my off hand to find the slide release wasn't working very well, either.
Old March 18, 2013, 04:20 PM   #7
cbennettx

I slingshot everything. That way you can practice the same move on any pistol without searching for the release.
Old March 18, 2013, 05:03 PM   #8
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Overhand -- for the reasons explained in posts #2 and #4.

That thingie you refer to as a "slide release" is called a "slide stop" in 1911 manuals. Yes, if you press it down it will release the slide, but its purpose is to lock ("stop") the slide open.
Old March 18, 2013, 05:53 PM   #9
Don P

We were taught to sling shot any semi-auto. Reason, when the proverbial hits the fan after your reload you go to release the slide using the slide stop and miss it you instinctively will take your eyes off the target/BG and look for the release thus, if you sling shot the slide chances of missing it are extremely remote in comparison.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old March 18, 2013, 06:02 PM   #10
Shane Tuttle
Staff

I'm not a competitor. I favor training in defensive scenarios. Most of the time, I prefer the slingshot method. That little extra bit of movement rearward compresses the spring that much more resulting in a more positive battery in theory.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old March 18, 2013, 06:15 PM   #11
Pops1085

Hey thanks guys, slingshot makes sense when you guys put it like that. I am taking a defensive handgun course here in May but I figured I'd still try to absorb as much as I can anyways.
Old March 18, 2013, 07:24 PM   #12
Dragline45

I always slingshot the slide, overhand that is. Like others mentioned when in a high stress situation it is easier to slingshot the slide then try to hit the slide release since it is a fine motor skill. Not only that but not all semi autos have a slide release, some just function as a slide lock or just don't have one at all. The ones that do have a slide release are placed in different places on different models. If you carry different guns this can lead to a problem. So building muscle memory for slingshotting the slide is a benefit IMO since it works with every semi auto out there, assuming you have two free hands. Also want to point out repeated use of a slide release can wear it out to the point where the gun will fail to lock back on an empty mag, this is especially important to note on guns that have slide locks like the SR9/SR9C, that some choose to use as a slide release when it should not be.
Old March 18, 2013, 07:25 PM   #13
Spats McGee
Staff

Generally, overhand. I do some practice releasing the slide stop with one hand, though, just for the possibility that I might only have use of one hand in an emergency.
Old March 18, 2013, 07:52 PM   #14
weblance

My first auto was a Ruger Mark II. They will wear the front of the bolt, and the slide stop lever if you dont slingshot them. Eventually, the slide stop will fail. For that reason, I slingshot every auto I own, no matter what.
Old March 18, 2013, 09:14 PM   #15
Auto426

I actually prefer to use my offhand thumb to hit the slide release after a mag change. My hands aren't big enough to hit the slide stop with my main hand from a firing grip, but since my offhand is already in that area of the gun after slapping a new mag in and trying to regroup the gun, I use the thumb to hit the slide lock. It's the quickest and most comfortable method for me.
Old March 18, 2013, 10:03 PM   #16
Mr.Scott

Like auto, I use my support thumb to release.
I figure that I reload and bring my support hand back to position I can drop the slide faster and be back shooting, than loading going up to the slide grabbing and pulling back then go back to support hand on grip.
Old March 19, 2013, 06:26 AM   #17
WVsig

Quote:
Overhand -- for the reasons explained in posts #2 and #4.

That thingie you refer to as a "slide release" is called a "slide stop" in 1911 manuals. Yes, if you press it down it will release the slide, but its purpose is to lock ("stop") the slide open.
This is not true. The part you refer to as the slide stop is a multi-purpose part. JMB was smart man and often used a single part to accomplish more than one task. If it was not mean to be a slide release why does it have serrations on it. If it was only intended to lock the slide the surface would have been left smooth.

IMHO one should train to use both the slingshot & slide release method. No reason not to be proficient with both.
Old March 19, 2013, 08:24 AM   #18
1911Tuner

Quote:
That thingie you refer to as a "slide release" is called a "slide stop" in 1911 manuals. Yes, if you press it down it will release the slide, but its purpose is to lock ("stop") the slide open
Well, of course it's a slide release. That's why it stands proud of the frame and has a textured surface on top. If it was only meant to be a slide lock, it would've been far faster, simpler, and cheaper to machine it flat.

The slidestop actually performs five functions.

It's a slide stop...to keep the slide and barrel from flying off the end of the frame.

It's a slide lock...when the magazine is empty.

It's a camming surface...to lift the barrel into the slide.

It's an anchor for the link...to get the barrel out of the slide.

It's a slide release...to send the slide back to battery after a reload.

Not too shabby for one simple thingie, no?

Cheers

Last edited by 1911Tuner; March 19, 2013 at 08:36 AM.
Old March 19, 2013, 11:01 AM   #19
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVsig
This is not true. The part you refer to as the slide stop is a multi-purpose part. JMB was smart man and often used a single part to accomplish more than one task. If it was not mean to be a slide release why does it have serrations on it. If it was only intended to lock the slide the surface would have been left smooth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911Tuner
Well, of course it's a slide release. That's why it stands proud of the frame and has a textured surface on top. If it was only meant to be a slide lock, it would've been far faster, simpler, and cheaper to machine it flat.
I understand that the part serves multiple functions and can be used as a slide release. That doesn't alter the fact that the Ordnance blueprints call it a "slide stop," nor does it invalidate the reasons multiple posters before me enumerated for using the overhand method to start off a fresh magazine after a slide lock.
Old March 19, 2013, 11:50 AM   #20
WVsig

AB your statement is clearly wrong. The basis for your claim that one should not use the slide stop as a slide release because of the name used in the ordinance spec has been proven weak at best. As 1911tuner illustrated the part has multiple functions one of which is to release the slide. If you do not want to use it that way fine but your reasoning prior to referring other people's points simply does not hold water. You came across as if you were correcting the OP when no correction was necessary.

It seems odd that you are unwilling to simply acknowledge your mistake and the fact either way is acceptable and most people have a preference based on subjective personal criteria. When I corrected your statement I did not attempt to invalidate the overhand method so I am not sure where you are getting that from. Re-read my post I think everyone should be proficient with both.
Old March 19, 2013, 12:42 PM   #21
1911Tuner

Quote:
I understand that the part serves multiple functions and can be used as a slide release. That doesn't alter the fact that the Ordnance blueprints call it a "slide stop," nor does it invalidate the reasons multiple posters before me enumerated for using the overhand method to start off a fresh magazine after a slide lock.
Nobody is trying to invalidate anything. The slide can be released either way, as per your choice. My points were technical rather than tactical. On that point, I practice both. Why limit my skillset?

But...

That doesn't invalidate the fact that it was also...and is, by design and intent...a slide release. It's also a slide stop. It's also a slide lock, etc.

Again...if it was only meant to be a slide stop/slide lock...why go through the extra machining steps to let it function as a slide release? Those are fairly complicated cuts to set up and make. Why not just machine it flat?
Old March 19, 2013, 12:56 PM   #22
mrvco

I prefer the overhand method because for me it is a more positive interface with the gun than the slingshot method. I only use the slide stop lever to lock the slide open. I use overhand on my 1911, Kahr and Glocks. Slingshot on my Tomcat, but only because it is too small for the overhand method.