The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 9, 2012, 11:26 AM   #1
stoney1666

Should I leave them loaded?

Remington 870 & 11 loaded with 4 rounds each.
Old October 9, 2012, 11:35 AM   #2
allaroundhunter

What is the reason that you have them?

If they are your primary defensive gun, then yes, and with something other than birdshot.

If they are just shotguns that serve no defensive role, then no. Don't leave them loaded, and lock them up in a safe.
Old October 9, 2012, 11:37 AM   #3
Creeper

Are they HD guns sitting in what you feel are optimal tactical locations? Sure... unless you have untrained kids or lots of dumb visitors, why not?

Inversely, if they're sporting guns... why would you leave them loaded?

C
Old October 9, 2012, 11:51 AM   #4
scottd913

simple answer...yes.

it does not hurt guns (springs ect.) to leave them loaded.
you may want to rotate your ammo every six months or so.
then again a true gun owner will check there weapons at least every once in a while for that may save your life when you least expect it.

of course some will say if you have children you shouldn't; and if you do, lock them and put them away.

we were taught as children that all guns are loaded.
we were also taught all guns were destructive TOOLS and not play toys.
Old October 9, 2012, 11:54 AM   #5
allaroundhunter

Quote:
we were taught as children that all guns are loaded.
we were also taught all guns were destructive TOOLS and not play toys.
And as children we never listened to everything that we were told
Old October 9, 2012, 12:04 PM   #6
Creeper

Quote:
of course some will say if you have children you shouldn't; and if you do, lock them and put them away.
Read that again... we talking guns or children?

C
Old October 9, 2012, 12:08 PM   #7
allaroundhunter

Quote:
Quote:
Read that again... we talking guns or children?

I think that he was trying to slip in an anti-children statement right there (good catch Creeper)
Old October 9, 2012, 12:16 PM   #8
Creeper

I was an accidental child. I'm glad my parents decided to see what I looked like... before they sold me to the circus.
Old October 9, 2012, 12:30 PM   #9
scottd913

i was not trying to slip in any thing.
stoney ask a question and as i read it; it was not a complete question and i just filled in the gaps. he didn't say why he asked he only asked about loading two guns ...so we are supposed to presume they are for home defense right? only a responsible person would guess that if you are asking a basic question IMO everyone should know whether a gun should be loaded or not, if you have to ask such a question you were not raised around guns... there for the children issue.

no I'm not anti-children, all my coach's plaque's from might say different!

in fact that last sentence was a paragraph and it seemed more of a rant on liberal raising of children and how people put there nose in others business but i deleted all but that little bit.
Old October 9, 2012, 12:40 PM   #10
allaroundhunter

Quote:
no I'm not anti-children, all my coach's plaque's from might say different!
No worries, scott, we were just kidding around a bit
Old October 10, 2012, 12:44 AM   #11
RsqVet

My 870 lives at cruiser ready, full mag, hammer down on an empty chamber, safety off.

Just my personal preference.
Old October 10, 2012, 07:01 PM   #12
drail

Well if you're going to leave the mag fully stuffed then you'll want to buy some spare magazine springs as they WILL weaken from full compression over time. I have seen it happen on guns kept fully loaded over time. That's a long spring and it's doing a lot of work over a long range of motion. If you want the last round to feed as slick as the first one did make sure that spring is full power. If you go with a full load/all the time, you'll get to replace it more frequently. Look closely at the shells in the mag, many will swell from the compression. Swelled up shell - feed problem. Change your mag spring at least yearly and buy an extra power spring such as Wollf. Shoot up the old shells. Buy more.
Old October 10, 2012, 11:06 PM   #13
Tony615

I keep my two shotguns loaded with one less than the magazines holds, empty chamber with the hammer down. They are strictly HD guns. My primary shotgun has a side saddle so I would load two more in magazine if I have time.

Last edited by Tony615; October 11, 2012 at 12:56 AM.
Old October 12, 2012, 01:11 AM   #14
RsqVet

I have to admit I do not detail strip the 870's every time I fire them, if its only a few rounds a quick clean is all it gets. The joy of revolvers and pump guns.

Once every 6 months or so they are cleaned 100% including removal of the fire control group and cleaning of the mag tube. Mag spring is on once every year and a half or so replacement.. usually be then it is looking ratty enough I wonder about it though I have never noted an issue.

My guns are parkerized and so they hold oil on the surface a bit, if I have not been out shooting them the amount of house dust and dog fur gives a good clue that it's time for a ready and re-inspect.

Usually once ammo is cycled through once or twice it goes in the practice bin and new is loaded. Likely a non-issue with modern shells but why risk it. I use the cheapest slugs from major US makers. Though I have an interest in that is better or best when it comes to handgun ammo, there is not a study out there that can convince me that it matters at all what slug one uses at defensive ranges.

Accuracy and penetration when it comes to hunting would be a whole other story.