The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 3, 2007, 08:08 PM   #1
Win1300

Winchester 1300 Barrels and chokes

I bought this gun at the end of hunting season from a neighbor. I know it is Winchester 1300 12gage with the 22inch barrel for sure. I am pretty sure it is the Win 1300 Black Shadow Deer. I am not 100% on the model but how do I find out and what is the difference b/t the Black Shadow Deer and the Black Shadow Deer Combo? Also he sold it to me with two different chokes. I have only shot slugs through the gun and it shoots fine. He said he shot slugs and bird shot through it and you dont have to change the barrel. And if you change the choke it just makes a tighter group with the bird shot or a wider group depending on which choke is in. Is this guy bull****ting me? Will it be fine to shoot slug and bird shot through the same barrel? And besides just changing chokes and looking at the group on the target is there any other way to know which choke is which? They look very much a like. I've got a few different guns here and there in my day and I have always just posted up with an old Spesco single shot I got from my uncle when I was younger and now I would like to know more about the sport and the guns so if you guys could help me out that would be great.
Old April 4, 2007, 08:28 PM   #2
HuntAndFish

Quote:
what is the difference b/t the Black Shadow Deer and the Black Shadow Deer Combo?
Not sure. Don't know how you would find out. Usually the "Combo" packages include a scope or scope mounts.

Quote:
Also he sold it to me with two different chokes. I have only shot slugs through the gun and it shoots fine. He said he shot slugs and bird shot through it and you dont have to change the barrel.
True. If the barrel is not rifled the slugs won't be as accurate as they could be. If the barrel is rifled the shot pattern won't be as good as it would be with a non-rifled barrel.

Quote:
And if you change the choke it just makes a tighter group with the bird shot or a wider group depending on which choke is in. Is this guy bull****ting me?
Not bull****ing. It's true. The choke tubes change the 'choke' or diameter of the barrel at the muzzle. The shot pattern is tighter when the diameter is smaller (ie; tighter choke).

Quote:
Will it be fine to shoot slug and bird shot through the same barrel?
Although the manual says "Special rifled choke tubes and rifled barrels are designed for shooting sabot-type slugs." In general, yes you can shoot slugs from a non-rifled barrel. If the barrel is rifled for slugs, you won't get a very good pattern with shot however.

Quote:
And besides just changing chokes and looking at the group on the target is there any other way to know which choke is which? They look very much a like.
Usually they are marked, tightest to most open are FULL, MOD, IMP CYL, etc. This stuff is on many web sites and probably in the FAQ on this site. If they aren't marked, then the only way to tell is measure them with a micrometer or a choke gauge. Most gunshops have choke gauges and can measure them for you.

Quote:
if you guys could help me out that would be great.
Go here http://www.stevespages.com/page7b.htm and get a Win 1300 manual and read it. You will need Acrobat reader which can be downloaded free here http://www.freesecuredownloads.com/acrobat/

Hope this helped.

Last edited by HuntAndFish; April 5, 2007 at 12:41 AM.
Old April 10, 2007, 10:24 PM   #3
Ryguy721

Choke tubes

Howdy. I recently purchased a Model 1300 turkey with only 1 choke tube. I bought it used at a gun show and unfortunately it only came with the modified choke. You can tell what choke you have as the tube will have a marking such as 'mod' 'ful' 'xfl' on the tip of the choke to distinguish between chokes. I wouldn't recommend shooting slugs with the chokes in as I've heard it can damage the consistency of the pattern within the choke and/or completely destroy the choke tube. I'm at a bit of a loss with my Model 1300 Turkey as I can't find one that looks anything like mine. That is, mine has a 5-7 wood grain inlay on the stock and pump. I've never seen anything like this on any other Model 1300. So if anyone can point me to a site or book or anything that would help me to determine the point of origin of this particular model, I would greatly appreciate it. I've gone to the Winchester site and it reveals little to nothing. The gun shoots like a dream and I can't wait to get out and bag big old tom!