The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old July 7, 2016, 06:33 PM   #1
HughScot

Cost of a Trigger Job

If this has been posted before I apologize. Roughly how much should a "trigger job" cost on a S&W J frame revolver?
Old July 7, 2016, 07:47 PM   #2
FITASC

Each smith is different in their pricing and their abilities. This is a case where the cheapest might not be the best choice.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old July 7, 2016, 08:14 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

The basic "problem" with a J frame is that they are small guns (duh!). That means a small hammer which means a hammer which must have a fairly strong spring to ensure ignition under adverse conditions. As the trigger pull is made lighter, the chances of a misfire will increase. A common workover would include removal of the hammer spur, reducing trigger spring tension, and reducing mainspring (hammer spring) tension, plus smoothing up the action. But, except for smoothing up the action, all those things will ultimately reduce reliability.

So how much are you willing to pay in reduced reliability for an easier action? There is a point at which you will get top reliability and a smoother action IF your gun will never be too cold, or dirty, or have to fire after being dropped in the mud. You pay for the action job, not just in money, but also in reduced reliability. For many that tradeoff is acceptable, since the factory always builds in extra spring strength, etc. If you understand the tradeoffs, there are plenty of gunsmiths who will give your J frame a good trigger pull. But before paying for the job, fire at least 200 rounds through the gun with a variety of ammo. Just because you always use Brand Z, doesn't mean you might not have to borrow ammo in a pinch and finding it doesn't work can be a bit disappointing (as in you are dead).

Jim
Old July 7, 2016, 08:30 PM   #4
RickB

I don't know if the price is different for different models, but a factory Master Action Job on my N-frame cost $125.
I was not too impressed with the work; the only discernible difference was that after the action job the gun would ignite 90% of my handloads with the strain screw tight, when before it would do that with the screw backed-out a quarter-turn.
I don't think chamfering the chambers is worth $125.
Old July 9, 2016, 08:24 PM   #5
HughScot

Thanks for the info guys.
Old July 10, 2016, 12:34 AM   #6
Lavan

Spring kits are relatively easy to play with, inexpensive, and easily taken back out if you're not happy.

Now let's talk Browning Hi Power trigger jobs.
Old July 10, 2016, 02:04 PM   #7
T. O'Heir

"...willing to pay in reduced reliability..." If that happens the trigger jobs wasn't done right. A factory hammer spring is 8.5 pounds according to Wolff. Their 'reduced power' spring is 8. Their 'extra power' spring is 9 pounds. Not a great deal of difference.
Just changing the springs will help. That can be a DIY job running less than $10. $25 for an Apex kit from Brownell's. Rebound spring requires a $20 tool.
However, Cylinder and Slide(big time smithies) wants $143.78 for an action job on a 'J' frame.
Where you are will matter too. And it's not a thing that gets returned to you in a week. Good smithies are extremely busy guys and you want a pistol smith, not a generalist.
"...Browning Hi Power trigger jobs..." Start with the mag safety.
Old July 13, 2016, 11:58 AM   #8
James K
Member In Memoriam

FWIW, I never owned an S&W rebound spring tool; a #2 Philips screw driver works just fine.

Jim