The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old December 26, 2023, 03:52 AM   #1
bamaranger

.44 mag-2160 fps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

I've had an itch this year to hunt my Ruger .44 carbines again, after putting the little rifles on vacation for several seasons. I've described my accuracy and zero issues in other posts. The other day I unearthed a box of factory Rem 180 gr JSP ammo and since the chrono was out and running well, I shot a 3 round string............avg velocity 2160 fps.....yeow!

I was astounded! For a number of years, I ran the carbines with modest 180 gr XTP reloads that came in around 1800 fps or so. This was purposely not a max load, 1) so as to reduce wear and tear on a valuable vintage rifle and 2) to reduce the light for caliber XTP tendency to fragment on close range shots. Eventually I went to the 200 gr XTP, still running them around 1800 fps (sorry no notes handy).

But I had no idea that one could exceed 2000 fps...handily....from a .44 carbine, and with factory ammo. A quick online search indicates that Remington still loads this screamer. I can't say if the Rem JSP would hold together any better than the XTP at carbine velocities, might make an interesting gel test for somebody. But for the average 150 lb whitetail, I'd think it would be devastating. My 180 XTP's certainly were, but I did not like their tendency to come unglued up close. I would also speculate that thes 180gr factory JSP equals or exceeds real world, 20" bbl velocities for the 170 gr thirty-thirty.
Old December 26, 2023, 11:37 AM   #2
rc

I think the 180 grain 44 mag bullets are best left to the pistol hunters. I'm sure the 240s have a much better chance to hold together on big game than 180s. Some people are happy hunting with plain cast lead or gas checked lead when using a big bore cartridge. You may be able to get the 240 XTP to 1800fps in your rifle if you use slow powders like H110. I know in 357 mag the Federal factory American Eagle 1240 fps 158 JSP revolver load will reach over 1800fps from a rifle and the 1450fps Remington 125 JSP load will reach about 2100fps. Magnum revolver rounds typically gain 400 to 600 fps from a carbine or rifle length barrel if loaded with slow powders. Faster powders used in non magnums only gain 100 to 200 fps which is typical bump for factory 9mm luger, 38 special and 45acp from a rifle. I'm sure the factory 210 grain 41 magnum rounds from a carbine would be right up there around 2000 fps too as well as the 327 Federal which has similar ballistics to a 30 carbine. While All PCCs have ballistic advantages over handguns in the same caliber, my favorite PCC chambering is 357 magnum because it can be used to hunt big game and can also fire the plethora of shorter commonly available 38 special target and defense loads.
Old December 26, 2023, 01:16 PM   #3
bamaranger

pistol bullets

Hornady at one time published a graph which listed recommended velocities for the .44/XTP and the 180 gr version was absolutely a pistol bullet, with a velocity ceiling considerably lower than the other bullet weights in that caliber. If I recall correctly it wasn't much over 1000fps. The 200 grain version was rated at considerable higher velocity. I ended up shooting the light for caliber .44's as they provided better accuracy in my slow twist carbines.

My experience with the .44 mag in carbines goes way back, my Dad had a M94 Win so chambered in the early 1970's. Dad shot 240 gr bullets of all variety, to include the old 240 gr Lubaloy SWC Winchester load. The 240's were all we ever saw on the shelves, maybe all that was offered back then. All Dad's shots were "pass through's" and we never recovered a bullet. Accuracy from Dad's M94 was rather so-so as well. I bought my first Ruger .44 carbine around 1986, having always wanted one, acquired another about a decade later. I shot 240 gr slugs initially, using 2400 powder and killed a few deer with them, but had real accuracy issues. No chrono in those days, I have no idea how fast they were running, but I had trouble keeping five rounds on a pie plate at 100 yds and started searching for alternatives.

Of late I've come to suspect the problem was not ammo/bullet weight at all, but bedding (or lack of it) in the carbines. I seem to have solved that problem recently (see other posts) and really need to shoot some 240's again and see how they group. My 200 gr loads, pushed by 2400, are now cuttinig one ragged hole at 50 yds.
Old January 30, 2024, 01:17 PM   #4
bfoosh006

FWIW... and decades ago... the Rem. 180gr 44 Mag load, when fired from my 4 5/8 revolver and at the local indoor range.... felt like my fillings might come loose. Lol

And after firing 6 rounds, everyone wanted to know what the heck I was shooting.
Old January 30, 2024, 02:42 PM   #5
bamaranger

flash bang

Oh yeah, all that flash bang from 180/.44 in a revolver, is powder NOT getting burned to propel the slug, but lost to special effects. A carbine harnesses that lost gas and turns it into feet per second.
I'll add that I hate to shoot anything indoors, even a .22. The booth's magnify muzzle blast, yours and your neighbors. Sometimes the lighting is not quite right either.
Another culprit in the flash/bang offender series is the 125/.357. I shot a lot of those loads from 4" revolvers back in the day.....serious medicine. From a carbine, the 125/.357 will break 2000 fps as well.
With about a week left in AL deer season, and all the effort to get the .44 Ruger Carbine accuracy issues ironed out and ammo loaded, I've hunted the little rifle I think 2 times, certainly no more than 3. Carried my Grandad's M88 in .308 about 2X as well (and passed a fair buck....getting soft , more likely lazy) I guess. Toted the bow or a .50 Renegade the most over the course of 35 or so hunts.
Old January 30, 2024, 04:49 PM   #6
Pumpkin

Before I started reloading I used to get 44 mag ammo at Best Products. They carried mostly Federal with the 240’s coming in boxes of 20 and the 180’s in 50 count. I remember those 180’s being the nastiest bastards ever out of my 4” 629, Ka Friggen BOOM! They were only rivaled by those WW 240 Lubaloy SWCGC.
bamaranger,
Thanks for reminding me of those, they caused me to get a Lewis lead remover!
Back to those 180’s, I think they would hit like an atom bomb. I would steer clear of any part of the deer I wanted to eat.
Old March 21, 2024, 08:26 PM   #7
Plainsman

About three decades ago, I was loading 180’s in the .44 and shooting out of a 7.5” Redhawk in 1600 fps neighborhood and I NEVER load near MAX. So if one ran the right powder at or near MAX levels and out of a 20-24” barrel, I could see it achieving that velocity.

Now the real question is how good is the load? Is it accurate? Is it consistent? Does the bullet construction hold up?

Its NOT all about SPEED.

Good luck!
Old March 24, 2024, 02:01 AM   #8
radom

I shot one box of rem 180s out of my 629 mtn gun. Never ever again!