The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 23, 2012, 08:56 PM   #1
cptmclark

Winchester 1890 front sight.

This is more of a historical question maybe, but I've just installed a Marbles tang sight on my old 1890 22WRF and discovered it to be a MOA shooter. I couldn't know that with my vision and the open sight. Is this possible? 0.5 at 50 yards? Anyhow, question is about the front sight, as it takes my old eyes a couple of minutes to get a shot off, trying to exactly center the top of the bead on the 6:00 of the black bull. The bead is too large or my eyes too old to put it over the target for anything except hunting accuracy. Is there a period blade front sight that I could put on this excellent condition old rifle without ruining the value of it?

Part two: the best advice of Marbles and Brownells gave me this sight. However the post is too high. Bottoming it out I shoot about 8" high at 50 yards. I hate to mess with it without advice. I suppose if I change the front sight I could fix it that way but want it to work as original would. How can I modify this tang sight for a lower POI?

Thanks for any advice or correction.
Old April 24, 2012, 12:55 AM   #2
Scorch

Williams makes a brass bead front sight in two different bead diameters, .030" and .060". Measure the total height of the front sight and order one of the fine bead sights.

The tang sight should have a barrel that turns to adust the point of impact up or down. If not, order your front sight .100" taller than the factory sight.
Old April 24, 2012, 06:57 AM   #3
cptmclark

Thanks Scorch. The tang sight is indeed adjustable, it's just bottomed out.