The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 7, 2009, 01:45 PM   #1
Huntingtrc

Will this work?

I am pretty new to the game and I am trying to make so test loads but am having a hard time finding some data. I have looked in the books (3-Hornady, Speer, and Nosler) and I am unable to match up certain powders with bullets. To start with I have .300 Win Mag and some H4831 and 165SST Hornady bullets that I am trying to load. I understand that the H4831 vs. IMR 4831 are different and the and load data is different but it seems to hold the same spread in the books. What I mean is for a 150gr bullet the powders are about 3 to 4 grains difference through the spread in the two powders. This is also true for the other grain bullets but I am unable to find the 165gr SST Hornady Load info with the H4831 but there is info for the IMR 4831. Would it be fine to use the 3 grain diffence in the IMR4831 and H4831 for starting loads?
I know for a lot of you experienced loaders this stuff is probably elementary but like I said I am new to this and I really don't want that drive of shame for a new gun or the ride of pain to the hospital so I am trying to do my homework. If anyone can point me in the right direction or give me an idea of a start stop point or how I can make this happen I would appreciate it.
Old February 7, 2009, 01:56 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

It's not elementary because powder calculations are complex. Three to four grains of difference might mean little in the capacious .300 RUM case, but would be the difference between working and failure or damage in the diminutive .223 case. What you really want to calculate is a percentage of difference, though even that will only be certain to apply among cartridges with the same peak pressure value. There are also lot-to-lot variations in powders that will make a difference.

The traditional solution is to find other bullets the same weight for which you do have load data. Knock that load down 10% and gradually work the charge weight up a few tenths of a grain at a time with the different bullet, watching for pressure signs along the way. Stop adding powder and back off a couple of percent if you get a pressure sign.

The same applies, by the way, to changing case brands or primers or the powder lot number. Any time any component is changed, you work the load up over again to be sure it is still safe.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle