The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 5, 2009, 01:21 AM   #1
totalloser

30 bnh WW bullets! Check out this link!

http://www.lasc.us/CastBulletNotes.htm

This link was put up on www.perfectunion.com by txpete, and I thought it was so sooper dooper cool I though I'd share it. Relatively scientific looking data on heat treating bullets for 55,000 psi (!!!) and jacketed velocities!

So, any thoughts? Good info, bad info?
Old February 5, 2009, 02:05 AM   #2
rickomatic

I'd say pretty interesting. I've seen some good stuff from that site. I had forgotten about it.
I'm fairly new to boolit casting, and was just tonight trying to figure out how to get a high BHN bullet from common alloys. I was thinking about trying to work up a .44 mag hard cast load for hunting, but didn't know how to up the BHN to handle hot .44 mag pressure loads.
With this information, and the information from Richard Lee's 2nd edition about matching metal hardness to a given pressure adds a little bit more information to the puzzle I've been contemplating. Thanks!!
Old February 5, 2009, 06:26 PM   #3
jdscholer

Wow! I love it. A great site that pretty much has all the info anyone would need to know. I'm not always right, but it looks like no BS to me. THANX. jd
Old February 5, 2009, 11:47 PM   #4
totalloser

If you like the stuff in that link, they have links to all sorts of other info. I spent a couple hours just looking at the HP molds! I thought (hoped! ) someone would get as much of a kick out of it as I did!
Old February 6, 2009, 10:48 AM   #5
AlaskaMike

The LASC site is one of the best article repositories on cast bullets and shooting in general that I've ever found. In addition to the cast bullet articles (in particular those by Glen Fryxell), I really like the ones by Jim Taylor and Paco Kelly.

Mike