The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old February 16, 2024, 10:31 PM   #26
tangolima

Went to the range to do the COAL test. This time the rifle has lpvo. Got the group size down to 1moa consistently by varying COAL. The group clearly consists of 2 subgroups, each is of course sub-moa. Labrador data indicates two distinct peaks in MV distribution, about 1.5% apart. The subgroups seem to correspond to the different MVs. So gun may be able to do sub-moa if the MV is more consistent. Yeah!

I'm loading with 55gr fmjbt blemished bullets. Guess it may be the cause. Price to pay for going cheap. I'm going to weight sort the bullets.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old February 17, 2024, 06:57 AM   #27
jetinteriorguy

Whenever I find two accuracy nodes, here’s how I determine which one I’ll use. I usually work up rifle loads in .3 gr increments so I’ll start at .3gr less and end at .3gr more than the node then work the load in .1gr increments. Whichever node shows the least deviation over the widest load variation is the one I go with.
Old February 17, 2024, 03:51 PM   #28
tangolima

I do charge ladder in steps of 1% and COAL test in steps of 0.002-0.003". This time I fired 8 shots of the same combination. 2 subgroups. Higher MV goes higher left, and lower MV lower right. MV difference is 1-1.5%.

1moa is not too shabby. I may just live with it as is.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk