The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 8, 2024, 02:56 PM   #1
Grey_Lion

Ruger 19109 .40 PC carbine - I WANT ONE

AAAaaannnnnndddd - they don't make them any more and no-one has one for sale that I can find.

UGH!!!

ALMOST got sucked into the scammer website Firearms online that showed an AMAZING deal on one - which came with an automated shift email letting you know your CC transaction failed - please pay us on this yahoo account linked ZELLE pay site so we can release your order or pay us in bit-coin -

NOTHING SUSPICIoUS ABOUT THAT!!!

Anybody have a bead on a Ruger 19109 PC carbine in .40 S&W?
Old January 8, 2024, 08:59 PM   #2
CarJunkieLS1

Gunbroker showed one being listed with a price of over $1000
Old January 8, 2024, 10:11 PM   #3
rc

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1029198410

Looks like they are not on the Ruger website anymore. Either they were not nearly as popular as the 9mm version or I suspect the 40 is a bit too destructive for an aluminum frame blow back. The older PC4s have a steel receiver and are built stronger in my opinion but limited to P91 series magazines and Ruger scope rings. My old model runs perfectly with all ammo I've ever put into it. They are heavy guns with a large weight to retard the bolt. For $1000 you are better off buying a mini.
Old January 9, 2024, 12:32 AM   #4
Txhillbilly

I like mine after I changed out the crap factory trigger pack with a 2.5 lb Volquartzen unit.I still shoot my 40 S&W Kel-Tec sub 2k more than the Ruger PCC 40.

The Ruger was hard to find when they were making them. It took me a couple month's to find the one I have.
Old January 9, 2024, 12:53 AM   #5
veprdude

At over $1000, I think Ruger has a market for these. 10mm PCC anyone?
Old January 9, 2024, 09:53 AM   #6
MarkCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by veprdude View Post
At over $1000, I think Ruger has a market for these. 10mm PCC anyone?
I have two 10mm PCCs, both DI gas guns.

The issue is really one of design. 9mm is okay in a blowback, but lacks enough gas for a proper set-up in a DI gun.

.40 S&W lacks enough gas for DI, but has too much pressure for a proper set-up in a blowback. The reciprocating mass is too high, OR one has to run weak ammo to keep it locked long enough.

Enter the (CMMG) radial lock blowbacks. They are the tweener that really runs best with 38 Super, 40S&W and .45 ACP, borderline for 10mm and with lower powered 9mm.

The .40 Caliber Rugers (as well as QC10 and others that tried) just were too hard on the parts and systems...or folks did not want to run them with 2+ pounds of buffer and bolt.

10mm needs a few things to run as a DI, but the .38 Super, 9mm, .40 S&W, .45ACP lack the powder charge, and thus the gas, to effectively operate a DI gas system. In the development phase for several PCCs for a few different manufactures, we came to the conclusion that about 5 grains or less powder was okay for the blowbacks. 6 to 8 was good for the radial delay and you really needed to be over 9 grains for a DI. Very general numbers with the bullet mass and burn rate being factors, but gas volume is the need for the DIs to work.
Old January 10, 2024, 12:24 AM   #7
Txhillbilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkCO View Post
I have two 10mm PCCs, both DI gas guns.

The issue is really one of design. 9mm is okay in a blowback, but lacks enough gas for a proper set-up in a DI gun.

.40 S&W lacks enough gas for DI, but has too much pressure for a proper set-up in a blowback. The reciprocating mass is too high, OR one has to run weak ammo to keep it locked long enough.

Enter the (CMMG) radial lock blowbacks. They are the tweener that really runs best with 38 Super, 40S&W and .45 ACP, borderline for 10mm and with lower powered 9mm.

The .40 Caliber Rugers (as well as QC10 and others that tried) just were too hard on the parts and systems...or folks did not want to run them with 2+ pounds of buffer and bolt.

10mm needs a few things to run as a DI, but the .38 Super, 9mm, .40 S&W, .45ACP lack the powder charge, and thus the gas, to effectively operate a DI gas system. In the development phase for several PCCs for a few different manufactures, we came to the conclusion that about 5 grains or less powder was okay for the blowbacks. 6 to 8 was good for the radial delay and you really needed to be over 9 grains for a DI. Very general numbers with the bullet mass and burn rate being factors, but gas volume is the need for the DIs to work.
Sure is funny that both of my blow back 40 S&W carbines run like sewing machines with either full pressure loads or with my sub-sonic loads with my suppressors.
Been shooting them for years, never had an issue.
Old January 11, 2024, 09:12 PM   #8
CarJunkieLS1

I have a 10mm AR style pistol, it is blowback and granted I haven't shot it all that much i.e. 150 or so rounds, but other than the 180gr factory S&B FMJ to check some function, its had Underwood 180 XTP's and my 180gr Swift A Frame loads, that are what many call "nuclear" loads. Haven't had a single issue and haven't noticed any firearm wear/damage.