The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 8, 2009, 12:37 AM   #1
ipscchef

7x57 in Ruger #1

Hi guys,
I have run into a problem with my Ruger #1 RSI in 7x57 which has not occured before. I am full length resizing and recently in doing so it bulges the base of the brass so that it will not chamber. I think I know the answer and if I am right it is pretty obvious, but I would like to get some input from you guys as to what I am doing wrong and how to do it properly.
I have been handloading for quite some time but that by no means makes me an expert and always want to get feedback.
BTW, this little carbine is one of the SWEETIST little guns I have ever put my hands on!
Oh, and anyone who has a pet load that they would like to share it would be appreciated. She wears a 20"bble and I tend to favor 140 to 150gr bullets
Old February 8, 2009, 01:46 AM   #2
kraigwy

Dumb question, but I'll ask anyway, are you triming the brass. My Ruger # 1 is one of the easyest guns I load for.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old February 8, 2009, 05:03 AM   #3
steveno

I think you are sizing the case too much. set the sizing die so it just touches the shell holder then back it off half a turn
Old February 8, 2009, 10:36 AM   #4
fisherman66

I like your pick. Here is mine.

Here's the one I wanted.

Old February 8, 2009, 05:49 PM   #5
ipscchef

Thanks for the input so far guys.

Kraigy; I am trimming to length, it doing the same thing with new and used brass. But I am measuring everything and trimming as neccesary.
The problem seems to be that it is expanding near the base to the point that the last 1/4" around the web is expanding to the point that it jams there. And until this problem arose a agree, I have three, 22.250, 7x57, and 45/70 and they are all pussycats to load for. that is why I am perplexed about this.

Steveono; I think you are probably right. Do you think neck sizing would be a better idea if your solution does not work?

Fisherman66; Nice gun! It looks like the grain on the stockof yours is a little more nicely figuered than mine. I have a Pentax Lightseeker 2.5x on mine. And as long as I stick to three shot groups it shoots about an inch or less with my pet load and the Winchester 145gr. Power Points. After that it starts to string verticaly, but who cares since it is a single shot afterall.
That custom is a knockout! Where is the photo from?
Old February 8, 2009, 06:00 PM   #6
steveno

if you keep the bottom of the sizing die a .5 to 1.5 turns above the shell holder you are essentially neck sizing the case. as long as you are only loading for one rifle neck sizing will work just fine
Old February 8, 2009, 08:19 PM   #7
crowbeaner

WW760 and H414 with the Speer 130 and 145 grainers, the Sierra bullets, and the Hornady Interlock if you need a tougher jacket are my picks. CB.