The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 9, 2000, 06:38 PM   #1
Corey

I have a bunch of nickel plated cases, I think it is nickel plating, from some winchester ballistic tip ammo I shot in my .270 WIN. I was wondering if the cases would damage the RCBS dies I have? The die set is the 2 die $25 set that you can pick up anywhere. Any help would be useful.
Old April 9, 2000, 06:58 PM   #2
tonyz

Nickel plated cases are used the same as brass cases, the are a little thicker but not enough to make any differance.
I like to use them when I am shooting two differant loads. that way I can tell the differance easly.

Hope this helps

Tony z

------------------
www.vote.com
also for gun accessorys. http://gungoodies.com
Old April 9, 2000, 07:05 PM   #3
Mike / Tx

Well it depends on how serioys you are about your equipment. I have used nickle plated brass for years for different loads. I generally use it more for weather than any other reason. One school holds that it will ruin your barrel by blasting tiny bits of the nickle down the tube which in turn gets imbedded in your barrel. Same thing is said about the dies. I personally do not own anything that I would ever notice this effect in. hunting rifles are capable of amazing accuracy but not on the lines of the BR group. As far as would I use them, I would and don't have any problems with them. They do require a little more attention with the lube as they will stick and stick good. They might be a little thicker than regular brass and require a slight reduction in load but it won't be noticeable in performance.

Good luck and have fun,
Mike / Tx