The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 26, 2012, 06:53 PM   #1
raindog

Raven vs. Crossbreed vs. Comp-Tac

I'm looking for a good holster for my Glock 19.

I've looked at tons, and am thinking one of these:
  • Raven Concealment Phantom
  • Comp-Tac Minotaur
  • Crossbreed Supertuck

One thing I liked about the Minotaur is that you can tuck your shirt around the gun...not sure how much I'd really do that though. I do like the fact that I could switch out the kydex if I get a different gun...someday when the Glock Gen 7s come out it might be an useful I guess.

Thoughts? I like the Raven because everyone raves about them, and the Minotaur based on what I've seen in Youtube reviews and its flexibility (ability to self-customized cant, etc.)

Minotaur review: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=508MhbU5xDw
Crossbreed: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2usV...eature=related
Raven: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZplHQ...eature=related
Old October 27, 2012, 12:31 AM   #2
Yung.gunr

I don't have any of the specific ones you are looking at, but I have the Cop Tac CTAC and I love it. I would not hesitate to get another of their products.
Old October 28, 2012, 11:39 PM   #3
Tony615

I have two Raven Concealment OWB holsters. One is for an HK USP 40 and the other is for an XD 40 SC. I ordered them both to also a accommodate a light on each gun. I may order some of the soft loops as well but for now I'm just using the belt loops.

I also have a Crossbreed SuperTuck Deluxe for my XD and I use most of the time. It's very comfortable. I ordered the horsehide one instead of the cowhide. I also ordered a set of J-Clips as well.
Old October 29, 2012, 08:59 AM   #4
Jay24bal

Crossbreed here...

I have 2 Crossbreed holsters and love them both.

A supertuck for the EDC Sig p250, and a mintuck for the LCP when it is not riding in an ankle rig.

I also opted for the horsehide as it will hold up longer. Both are extremely comfortable to wear and both have held up well as I have owned them for going on three years now. Just an occasional wipe down with leather conditioner and tightening of the screws and they are good to go.

Once Fired Brass, Top quality, Fast shipping, Best prices.
http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " Jay24bal "
Old November 10, 2012, 12:35 AM   #5
7jinxed7

I have the M-Tac and like it. I don't know if i would swap the kydex personally. For one it doesn't seem cost effective and two the leather molds itself to the shape of the gun. Don't know how well it would remold to a different shape.

Check out X-Concealment.
Old November 10, 2012, 10:39 AM   #6
comn-cents

I have a Crossbreed Supertuck & the Comp-Tac Minotaur & a Raven Concealment Phantom on the way. I really don't like the Crossbread or the Comp tac for one reason, its hard to re-holster. They both are comfortable to carry, but because of the all leather back it collapses into the kydex part and they suck when it comes time to re-holster. As of right now I like my Blade-tech the best, I have a couple IWB and 5 or so outside and all have been top notch. One note on the Raven holsters they are 13 weeks out and I ordered mine 10 weeks ago and still no word on when it will ship.

http://www.blade-tech.com/IWB-holsters-c-260.html
Old November 10, 2012, 01:52 PM   #7
dayman

I have the phantom and really like it. I use the IWB soft loops most of the time and it conceals my PPQ quite well. While you can't tuck a shirt in around it, I find when I need to tuck my shirt in I'm usually wearing something that necessitates a smaller gun anyway.
I do also like the option of wearing it OWB as in the winter it's fewer layers to go under for my gun, but doesn't require a change of holster.

There is a long wait for Raven, but I wouldn't worry about not hearing from them. Once it gets into the queue they move pretty fast. They're really good about letting you know when anything happens, they're just so backlogged it takes a long time for them to even process your order. I think mine was in my hand maybe 2 weeks after it got into the production queue.

For a glock 19 I think they may have less of a wait. They have an express option for a few popular models, as long as you don't want a lot of non-standard options (light, coyote tan, differnt cant, etc.).

Last edited by dayman; November 10, 2012 at 02:01 PM.
Old November 10, 2012, 09:08 PM   #8
TAKtical

I feel like my holsters should be included in this comparison. Same quality, comfort, and fully adjustable for cant and ride depth. Also a much more reasonable price.

Due to several differences of opinion with staff, I am choosing to no longer do business on this forum. Everyone that has a pending order will need to contact me via email at [email protected] Thanks,
-Tom&Tricia

Last edited by TAKtical; November 10, 2012 at 09:34 PM.
Old November 10, 2012, 09:27 PM   #9
Captains1911

The CB adjusts for ride height and cant just like the MTAC. I've owned both and prefer the CB.
Old November 11, 2012, 02:34 PM   #10
Caboclo

I used a Crossbreed Quick-tuck for a couple years; liked it a lot except that the single clip on it would occasionally come loose and I would draw the holster out with the gun. I expect the 2 clips on the Super-tuck would eliminate this problem.

I just received my new Raven I ordered 3 months ago. I haven't had a chance to wear it yet, but I did notice one significant difference versus the Crossbreed: the Raven does not use a leather back; it is kydex on both sides. It has a bit of a curve built in to conform to your body, but the kydex is quite hard and stiff and it will not mold to your body beyond the built in curve. I think it will work well OWB, but when using it inside there may be some wasted space.

Over-all, both holsters are very well made, made in America, with a lifetime guarantee. As with any holster or gun, it is a very personal choice. The best option is to get both and try them yourself, but I realize that's a fair chunk of change.

One other note; whenever wearing IWB, the gun will ride snugly against your side, and it can be difficult to get your thumb fully around the grip when drawing. If whichever manufacturer you choose offers an option to alleviate this problem, I would highly recommend that option. Case in point, Raven offers the "short body shield" option.
Old November 11, 2012, 07:59 PM   #11
Lawmaker

I have a Crossbreed Supertuck. I love it. Nice and snug to the body but really comfortable. I have fallen asleep on the couch with it a couple of times.
Old November 11, 2012, 08:20 PM   #12
ripnbst

I used a Raven a friend lent me and it was a great rig. If I was in the market if buy one but I had a local guy make me one for way less money that works for me.
Old November 14, 2012, 03:10 PM   #13
RadioFlyer8

The people that make the Raven system are great people and I know a lot of folks that are extremely satisfied with it and won't go back to their old holsters.
Old November 15, 2012, 07:48 PM   #14
dayman

Regarding the Phantom,
Quote:
when using it inside there may be some wasted space.
I thought that myself before I got mine, but if there's any wasted space it's not really noticeable. Most people have enough padding in their 3:30-4:00 position to fill in any little gaps. I've also been surprised how comfortable it is IWB.
I bought it - and primarily use it - as a OWB rig, but I've worn it out for a few days IWB, and I don't even notice it's there.