The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old May 4, 2012, 12:42 PM   #1
Auto426

CMP Buyers, I Need Your Guidance

I have decided to scratch my itch for an M1/M14 style rifle by buying an M1 Garand from the CMP. I've really been lusting after an M1A, but funds won't allow and I really can't find any reason not to buy one of the CMP Garands. $625 for a service grade seems like a steal, and I always love owning pieces of American History.

As of right now am I am still gathering all of the paper work and lining up the notary for the purchase. I plan on purchasing a 1 year membership from the Garand Collectors Association to satisfy the membership in an affiliated organization requirement, since there are no shooting ranges anywhere near me that qualify.

Now I have heard that you can attack a sticky note to your order form to make certain requests for the rifle you want to purchase. I'm not really interested in getting a gun in a certain serial number range, as I'm pretty sure that almost all of the guns being sold now were made in the 1950's. My main concern is getting a rifle with one of the new CMP stocks. I just have a thing about a having nice clean piece of wood, and I like the way the new stocks make the rifles look almost brand new.

Does anyone have experience with these requests? Also, any helpful info on ordering would be appreciated.
Old May 4, 2012, 01:38 PM   #2
BombthePeasants

They will usually meet your request. From what I gather, they will go through the open crate at the time and try to honor stickys there. I believe they won't go to open another to do so. For what it's worth, there you have it.
Old May 4, 2012, 02:49 PM   #3
NWPilgrim

I would be more concerned about the condition of the barrel: throat and muzzle wear, and the general receiver condition. You can easily and for $100 replace the stock with a new CMP walnut stock.

When they grade them even within the Service Grade there is a wide range of barrel ratings. I would ask for as near a 2/2 barrel or better regardless of condition of wood. If I got a nice metal Garand with beat up wood for $625 I would be happy.

When I was there last year to hand pick my third Grand I saw some with nice new wood but pretty low (bad) on the SG scale in terms of barrel wear. On the other hand, I found one with excellent receiver and barrel condition but with a big gouge in the stock. Some refinishing and it looks pretty decent. Poor barrel wear won't "buff out."
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old May 4, 2012, 02:49 PM   #4
greentick

I ordered a service grade Garand a few years ago and was shocked at what great condition it was in, especially since they were like $500 at the time. I doubt you will be sorry.
Old May 4, 2012, 07:45 PM   #5
Pat T

I got a service grade Springfiled about this time last year, great condition (MW 1 TE 2) and has the CMP birch stock. I love this rifle, CMP does a fantastic job.

If you put a sticky note asking for a CMP birch stock you'll probably make their day, most folks ask for the USGI stocks when making special requests.

Good luck and hope you enjoy your new rifle!
Old May 4, 2012, 11:04 PM   #6
Capybara

If you want to be sure to get a new stock with collector grade metal, you need to spend the extra and order the Service Grade Special, that's what I did and I ended up with essentially a "brand new" M1.

FWIW, I have heard that the regular Service Grades for the past year or so are amongst the nicest the CMP has seen for many years so you stand a decent chance of getting one you will be happy with but if you want to make SURE that you get something like this, you need to order a Service Grade Special.

Old May 5, 2012, 12:40 AM   #7
golfnutrlv

My service grade sprinfield november 1943 came with the new cmp stock, and a great barrel and throat.

I would have been happy either way. I really wanted a war dated rifle, and I got one.

Was a very happy guy.
America is at an awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.
Old May 5, 2012, 06:15 PM   #8
jimmythegeek

My service grade Springer was a total shock

built 1943, muzzle 1, throat 2. Crazy! Stock is original, but not too beat up. I'm very, very happy with it. Now, if I could get my marksmanship to a level worthy of it...

I got it a week ago.

Last edited by jimmythegeek; May 5, 2012 at 06:16 PM. Reason: added detail
Old May 6, 2012, 03:17 PM   #9
P5 Guy

CMP Road Trip?

If you can afford the drive to Anniston Alabama go and pick out the one you want at the CMP Store.
I drove up from Tampa FL a couple of times. A three day two night trip.
Be the first guy in line when the store opens on Thursday morning. The staff will are quite helpful. The only down side is "bama's sales tax. A 9% premium for taking immediate possession.
Old May 6, 2012, 08:25 PM   #10
Mals9

I attached a sticky to my field grade order a year or so back requesting a WWII reciever. I got a March '44 Springfield with a new birch stock, muzzle wear of 1, throat erosion of 2. Could nor be happier.
Old May 6, 2012, 08:46 PM   #11
springer99

OP, if you make the trip to Anniston and can wait a day or two after your selection(s), you can have them ship the rifles back home for you and avoid the sales tax. Just gotta weight the sales tax cost against their standard Fed Ex. charge of $24.95. - just saying.
Old May 6, 2012, 08:57 PM   #12
Auto426

I wouldn't mind making a trip back to Alabama again, mostly to go see the USS Alabama again, but going there to pick my rifle from the store is pretty much out of the question. Gas and hotel expenses would be more than simply buying a new stock from them to replace an old beat up one.

Currently I'm awaiting my Garand Collector's Association membership packet and I still need to get my order form notarized. I'm just going to attach a sticky and ask for a rifle with a new stock and good wear ratings, then put my faith in the good folks at the CMP. From what I've heard they seldom disappoint.

Thanks to everyone for your helpful responses.