The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 27, 2010, 02:22 PM   #1
swmike

Ideas on refinish prep for SGW Lower

Retirement is great. Gives me lots of time to complete projects that have been on hold for years.

My latest project is refinishing an older SGW (Oly Arms) AR-15 Lower Receiver. My dilemma is that they were wimpy when they applied the "Roll Marks" and serial number. The depth is just enough to read them and I fear that traditional bead blasting will make it hard or impossible to read when the finish is applied.

My thoughts so far have been to merely mask them, go ahead and blast, and then take a chance that the finish will stick in this un-prepped area. It will also probably look like a crummy bumper sticker when done.

For a second thought I've considered just working over the entire receiver with some wet/dry sandpaper, and then, using a fine pointed metal scribe, clean out the roll marks and serial number. I believe this will also have the effect of "deepening" the marks and make them more readable.

The final finish I have selected is Brownell's AlumaHyde II as I have some on hand. I know that there are better finishes but for this Lower I think it will do fine and will match the upper on this rifle.

Any suggestions for prep that will give a good surface for the final finish and yet not obliterate the markings?

"In God we trust, all others are suspects."

"If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying, either I won't need any more, or more won't be of any help".