The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 9, 2014, 02:39 AM   #1
alanshaffer2000

Lead vs. plated / FMJ for Trail Boss powder

I'm planning to use Trail Boss for my low velocity 158gr 357 mag reloads. While researching TB, I noticed that it is designed for lead bullets, and NOT recommended for plated or FMJ bullets. Can someone explain the theory of why a powder would be good for lead but not plated or FMJ. I'm new to reloading, so forgive me if this is a stupid question. Thanks.
Old July 9, 2014, 08:50 AM   #2
buck460XVR

TB is also used for plated and jacketed bullets in reduced recoil loads. Here is the formula from Hodgdons. They assured me thru e-mails that it works with jacketed bullets in handgun cases. My best luck with jacketed is 90-95% of case capacity.

https://www.hodgdon.com/PDF/Trail%20...oads%20R&P.pdf
Old July 9, 2014, 09:04 AM   #3
jtmckinney

I use Trail Boss and 158 grain plated bullets in 357 Mag with good success. Very pleasant to shoot and a great way to introduce a new shooter to a full sized revolver. I make sure they know they are shooting a reduced load and if I step up to a harder hitting load I tell them to get ready for more recoil.
When I am weaker than you, I ask you for freedom because that is according to your principles; When I am stronger than you, I take away your freedoms because that is according to my principles. Frank Herbert "Children of Dune"
Old July 9, 2014, 09:50 AM   #4
Nick_C_S

I'm not sure, but must likely, Trailboss doesn't produce large gas volumes. Since a jacketed or plated bullet has quite a bit more barrel friction, the concern is a stuck bullet at low charge weights. Their lawyers aren't comfortable with customers using plated/jacketed bullets. But I'm sure it can be safely done.
Old July 9, 2014, 09:58 AM   #5
Unclenick
Staff

If even Hodgdon is now saying its safe in pistol cases, then whatever had them spooked about it early on has been explained and or resolved. I suspect it was as simple as people trying to get warmer loads for jacketed bullets and winding up compressing the Trail Boss, which crushes its brittle grains and causes its burn rate to increase. So as long as you are careful not to compress the load, it looks like you will be OK to use it.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old July 9, 2014, 12:12 PM   #6
buck460XVR

Quote:
Originally posted by Nick_C_S:

I'm not sure, but must likely, Trailboss doesn't produce large gas volumes. Since a jacketed or plated bullet has quite a bit more barrel friction, the concern is a stuck bullet at low charge weights. Their lawyers aren't comfortable with customers using plated/jacketed bullets.

But increased bore friction also increases pressure, and there is always a concern with low charge weights with any powder and a stuck bullet....even with lead.

If you read the link I provided you will see that Hodgdon says that TB is safe with jacketed bullets, even in handguns. Again, they reconfirmed this to me in direct e-mails. If the OP is concerned, he should contact Hodgdon directly. They generally reply quickly and courteously.

Last edited by buck460XVR; July 10, 2014 at 06:33 PM.
Old July 9, 2014, 10:29 PM   #7
BOOMST1CK

Trail boss is great, my 38 snub rounds with plated bullets are great, but loading plated or jacketed bullets can be a problem in longer barrels even loading full charges. I can not get much more than bunny sneezes out of a 6 inch gp-100. Do not compress this powder is what I have been told.
Old July 10, 2014, 01:41 AM   #8
tangolima

I use trail boss for my 7.62 nagant and .38 s&w revolvers. Top speed is around 700fps, which is pretty light compared to most modern calibers. Plated and jacketed bullets generally need 0.5gr more powder for the same speed. 0.5gr of trail boss is quite a bit. It is like 10% to 25% more.

I like trail boss. It is just a bit more expensive when considering cent per gr.

-TL
Old July 10, 2014, 02:12 PM   #9
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

As noted, that was a concern early on and is no longer valid.

I have used Trail Boss with jacketed bullets in quite a few cartridges from .204Ruger to 7mm-08 and .357sig and .357mag.

It won't cycle my Glock.

Tags
fmj , plated , powder selection , trail boss