The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 28, 1998, 02:31 PM   #1
Steve Koski

How do you fire form cases? Do you simply fire a factory cartridge and the case gets expands to the the larger chamber dimensions, or do you pull the bullets and charge some pistol powder, or what?
Old October 29, 1998, 11:28 AM   #2
chargar

Steve...fire formings can be done either way you mentioned. When using full pressure loads (factory or equivalent) you must be certain you have good headspace support or else you risk a case seperation which is not good. If you have good headspace support then fire away with factory ammo. In the case you are fire forming cases which are conversions from a totaly different case, then you need to consider using a light charge of pistol powder to form the case. All in all, without knowing what you are trying to do, it is hard to answer. Also you need to know that neck and shoulder splits are common when fire formings unless you anneal the cases necks and shoulders first. Let me know what you are trying to do and I can be more specific. [email protected]

Old October 29, 1998, 05:18 PM   #3
Steve Koski

Charles, I'm not a rifle reloader. A friend and I were discussing how to fire forma rifle cases in general, and it looks as if we were both right.
Old April 28, 2008, 06:49 PM   #4
circle141

Fire forming cases.

I fire form cases using 6.5 carcano cases to make 7.35 carcano. I use bullseye
powder with a bit of paper over the powder, then cream of wheat to the bottom of the neck
and use bullet lube to seal the case. I use rifle primers, some think you should use pistol primers only.
I have had good luck with this way of forming cases. I use 12gr. of bullseye
in this case. You may find this to much with smaller cases or not enough in others. This way you do not need a bullet. Cases last longer this way also.

Mike Circle
Old April 29, 2008, 01:31 PM   #5
Rampant_Colt

Holy thread resurrection, Batman!