The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

View Poll Results: Which one would you take?
SIG Sauer 1911 XO 12 3.23%
Custom Springfield MilSpec 1911 18 4.84%
Colt Gold Cup Trophy Model 1911 32 8.60%
Custom Colt 70 Series 1911 47 12.63%
SIG Sauer P220 40 10.75%
SIG Sauer P226 E2 9mm 60 16.13%
Browning High-Power 36 9.68%
Glock 17 27 7.26%
Glock 19 63 16.94%
Glock 21sf 15 4.03%
Glock 22 10 2.69%
Hk USP 40 12 3.23%
Voters: 372. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 10, 2013, 09:26 PM   #51
Nathan

For me, I had it narrowed down to the Glock 21SF and the Custom Colt 1911 70 series.

In the end, I would rather have the 1911 with a commander hammer and GS. I would also add a Wilson single sided tactical safety, but narrowed and shortened some. To me, this is the ideal CCW, except maybe a CCO type gun.

The Glock is super in most ways, but hard to CCW.
Old January 10, 2013, 09:32 PM   #52
WVsig

The CCO setup is great for carry.....

Old January 10, 2013, 11:13 PM   #53
+1k ammo

Sig 226 was my vote, but the Glock could be very close.

In the long run, if it were your only gun, would the polymer last longer than steel??

I don't know, but they would both outlast another 40 years or so of me firing it, so probably whichever I shoot with better.
Old January 11, 2013, 08:56 AM   #54
lamarw

I selected the Sig P220 from the above lop-sided list. As a poor attempt to be represenative, it was way too Glock heavy handed. The Beretta 92 or even a Beretta was not mentioned.
Old January 11, 2013, 09:24 AM   #55
Tactical Jackalope

lamarw
Quote:
I selected the Sig P220 from the above lop-sided list. As a poor attempt to be represenative, it was way too Glock heavy handed. The Beretta 92 or even a Beretta was not mentioned.

lol...cause I don't own a Beretta. The first post I stated they're the semi-autos I currently own.

vytoland
Quote:
NONE of the above....give me a good old S&W revolver...
I only have one revolver now, it's the Model 19-4 but this is the semi-auto forum! Would the M19-4 suffice?

Old Grump
Quote:
SIG Sauer 1911 XO
Custom Springfield MilSpec 1911
Colt Gold Cup Trophy Model 1911
Custom Colt 70 Series 1911

Oh Old Grump! Of course you chose the 1911's!

@ Sevens LOL that was fun to read. I liked it.
Old January 11, 2013, 09:29 AM   #56
Denezin

Tough choice if it were SA only id chose a colt commander LW or a sig p220 SAO now my other choice would be a glock 32 in 357 sig. for double stack. i love most of the guns listed too tough to really call.
Old January 11, 2013, 09:59 AM   #57
lamarw

OK, Gotcha.

I saw where you recently acquired a 220. Congrats.

You may want either a Beretta 92 derivitive or even an 84 or 85 for shooting pleasure and athestics. They are beautiful pistols but only consider them if you personally take a liking. I am still trying to warm up to a Glock. You never know, we may meet up in the middle one day with beauty and the beast.
Old January 11, 2013, 10:12 AM   #58
Roland Thunder

I see the Sig 226 E2 9mm is now closing in on the lead It's a classic pistol for sure.
Old January 11, 2013, 10:18 AM   #59
Tactical Jackalope

lamarw
Quote:
OK, Gotcha.

I saw where you recently acquired a 220. Congrats.

You may want either a Beretta 92 derivitive or even an 84 or 85 for shooting pleasure and athestics. They are beautiful pistols but only consider them if you personally take a liking. I am still trying to warm up to a Glock. You never know, we may meet up in the middle one day with beauty and the beast.
Thanks brother!

It's alright, the poll is really loud when you first click on the link. I could have just as easily made the same mistake and I have...several times. lol

Yes! I do want a 92. I love full sized guns and who doesn't need another 9mm full sized or .45 full sized? I have shot the 84 I think..it's a .380? One of my friends had it. I loved the way that thing shot! I barely felt any recoil whatsoever.

You're getting used to a Glock? Oh nice...didn't think I'd see that coming. Awesome. let us know how it goes

GregInAtl
Quote:
I see the Sig 226 9mm is now closing in on the lead
Ah yes...One of my favorites and the one I've shot the most. 3,000+ rounds with only 3 FTF's. With rough ammo and one possible user error. (I was running)
Old January 11, 2013, 10:23 AM   #60
Roland Thunder

This is a really fun thread. I'm going to give it a high rating.
Old January 11, 2013, 02:35 PM   #61
dgludwig

Quote:
Sig 226 was my vote, but the Glock could be very close.

In the long run, if it were your only gun, would the polymer last longer than steel??

If this is a concern (which material is the most durable over time when comparing the SIG 226 with any Glock), the question might better be asked: "Would the polymer last longer than aluminum?"
Old January 11, 2013, 02:42 PM   #62
MLeake

Depending on conditions, any could have an advantage. Corrosion? Polymer. Heat and a lot of direct sunlight? Not polymer.

How things will be used, stored, and maintained can make a difference.
Old January 11, 2013, 03:13 PM   #63
Tactical Jackalope

I think both would do just fine. Like Leake said, depends how they "will be used, stored, and maintained can make a difference."

Only real issue I can see happening in each individuals lifespan, is corrosion. Then I'd have to hand it to polymer.

Decomposition for example? Aluminum won't even start getting weak when polymer begins to. Then again, that's where our "lifespan" comes in. Cause we won't live to see a new gun decompose. Unless it was buried way back when. Before these debates existed.
Old January 11, 2013, 03:37 PM   #64
MLeake

Well, that depends on round count, I suppose.

For instance, many aerobatic planes are still built with spruce wings, because aluminum alloys eventually start to crack under repeated stress. Not a matter of if, but when.

However, wooden spars and struts do not do well if stored wet. Such aircraft require hangaring, and need to be flown fairly regularly to blow any residual moisture out of the wings.

Wood or aluminum, wings require periodic inspection, and aircraft require scheduled, preventive maintenance.

Same should hold true for guns.
Old January 11, 2013, 10:42 PM   #65
chaim

I didn't vote because I could have easily gone with anything from the first gun on your list through the BHP. However, if it was me, and you were including CCW on your list of uses, I would prefer the smaller full-size and larger compacts for a one gun that does it all. My choices would run Commander sized 1911 instead of a full-size, SIG P220 Carry instead of the P220, or the SIG P229 instead of the 226. The Glock 19 fits this niche well, but I'm not big on striker fired pistols. If it was me with your list of guns, and I wanted to consolidate to one, I'd trade everything on a Commander sized 1911 (I love my S&W 1911SC), SIG 220 Carry, or a 229. Most likely, I'd either pick the P220 Carry or a .40S&W 229 (though 9mm would make for cheaper range practice) so as not to have to worry about an external safety for carry and home defense.
Old January 12, 2013, 12:01 AM   #66
MonsterB

Funny how so many people think Sigs are all steel. I voted Glock19, in spite of how much I love my 229. I dont think there is a better all around only one gun for everything than a Glock, whether it be a 19, 17, 26, 23, etc. The last gun I would ever part with would be my g23.
Old January 12, 2013, 12:44 AM   #67
en-frame

Glock 19. Great all-around pistol in a useful caliber.
Old January 12, 2013, 09:28 AM   #68
Tactical Jackalope

Leake, true...Good call.

chaim, monster, & en-frame..Nice..Have my Glock 19 on me now.

My favorite handgun round is .45 but the more the merrier right now. So I have the Glock 19 on me a lot more lately. Love my SIG P220. But I only have one magazine for it right now.
Old January 12, 2013, 10:14 AM   #69
geetarman

^^^^^^ Have you checked out a G30?

My son has one and I really did not like it. . .at first.

I ended up buying one and that is the gun I carry when I carry. I don't do that a lot but it is getting to the point where I feel better with it.

It is surprisingly accurate and after reading some of the reviews, it seems to be very highly rated. I also shoot a G21 and I have to say I shoot it better than the G30. The G30 is just a whole lot easier to pack.

Carpe Cerveza
Old January 12, 2013, 10:41 AM   #70
Tactical Jackalope

^ I was going to buy one. I had one on layaway, some time last year. I really really want one actually. It's the size of the G19, in my favorite handgun round. .45ACP

A pretty sad thing happened and I just didn't get it cause I needed to spend that money elsewhere.

I'm going to really consider a G30 again. What is it? 10+1 of .45 and I can use my G21 mags for it too. awesome.

Pic please? (not cause I don't know what it looks like...I just like seeing other peoples carry guns..the wear..etc)
Old January 12, 2013, 10:54 AM   #71
BGutzman

Buddy what I think you really want is a G30 with the conversion to 460 Rowland... The conversion is about $300, besides the conversion adds to the looks with the ported barrel and all; something every non-custom Glock is in urgently desperate need of.... (looks)
Old January 12, 2013, 11:21 AM   #72
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
Buddy what I think you really want is a G30 with the conversion to 460 Rowland... The conversion is about $300, besides the conversion adds to the looks with the ported barrel and all;
O_O wow...I'm going to look into that. They don't sell .460 Rowland on the shelves locally around here though. So darn...lol But just for fun and to try out. Hell yes. Do you have a pic to post of that bad boy? I saw you mention it once before.

Quote:
something every non-custom Glock is in urgently desperate need of.... (looks)
I could not agree with you more..It's like giving the ugly girl at the dance a personal professional make up artist. lol
Old January 12, 2013, 11:36 AM   #73
WVsig

Quote:
I could not agree with you more..It's like giving the ugly girl at the dance a personal professional make up artist. lol
Why would you put lipstick on a pig.... ?
Old January 12, 2013, 11:49 AM   #74
geetarman

Quote:
Pic please? (not cause I don't know what it looks like...I just like seeing other peoples carry guns..the wear..etc)
I don't have any pictures. I have two Kydex holsters. One OWB and one IWB.

I like the OWB better and carry at 4 o'clock with an untucked oversize shirt.

My son carries the same gun in a leather holster and tucks his shirt over the gun so a lot of shirt is hanging over the gun. He is as skinny as a rail and you just don't know that he is packing. I don't think I am fooling anyone but my gun is not obvious.

The G21 mags will fit. I just stick with the factory 10 round mags. I shoot mostly any factory 230 gr. ball in it but I carry 230 gr. HP ( Winchester I think ) when I go out.

Carpe Cerveza
Old January 12, 2013, 01:34 PM   #75
BGutzman

This is a pic of my 460 Rowland... You can get the Glock 30 Rowland kit from http://shop.460rowland.com/conversion_kits

They have better pics... Still in all seriousness I think you would love it and you can get ammo from underwood ammo running at mid 44 magnum power with 185/230 grain gold dots.

The energy dump graph at the end of this youtube video says it all:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OecVBzPYnfc