The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 23, 2012, 11:22 PM   #1
jal5

9mm problem

I never had this kind of problem before reloading 9mm. I use a 3 die set and deprimed and sized several hundred Federal cases. I am reloading using Berry's 115 gr plated bullet over Bullseye. The first irregularity I noticed was when I went to seat the bullets, the case mouth didn't have enough tension to hold them correctly and I couldn't get any kind of consistent OAL. I tried about 10 cases and stopped to think over what was happening. The case mouth mics at 0.380-0.381 which doesn't seem unusual. I thought maybe I had belled the mouth too much so I used the Lee Taper Crimp Die on it to try to improve the tension holding the bullet. That seemed to help and I got more consistent OAL for those cases @ 1.137. The second odd thing was that when I crimped them using the taper crimp die, I can rotate the bullet in the case on them. It doesn't move in or out of the case it just rotates.

This is the first batch I have reloaded using the taper crimp die, the others were all roll crimped. Any ideas about these? Thanks. Joe
Old January 23, 2012, 11:54 PM   #2
Sevens

The others were roll crimped? How might you have done that?

Are you sure that the OTHER die you were using wasn't the Factory Crimp die? Lee doesn't offer any roll crimp die in 9mm. If you were using the die that seats the bullet to crimp, you were using a taper crimp die.

First, I would look at the brass. I have found some brass to be thin and this is usually the biggest reason I have case mouth tension issues. I usually see this with R-P brass, but R-P brass doesn't give me problems in 9mm. (it does in other chamberings)

Next, I'd look at how much I'm flaring the case mouth. Go as little as you can, but still be able to place a bullet on top where it won't fall out if you carefully hold it upside down.

Next, I'd screw OUT the bullet seating die to remove all crimp to ensure that I wasn't putting too much taper crimp on the round... which can have the effect of destroying case mouth tension on the bullet. Once you have ensured that NO crimp is imparted on the round -- check your case mouth tension on the bullet. Only after you have that sorted out should you worry about the taper crimp.

Taper crimp is how the 9mm is supposed to be loaded. And the job of taper crimp is NOT to give you case mouth tension on the bullet. That's the job of the brass being sized down enough to do the work, and it's also the job of the bullet to be large enough to fit properly.
Old January 24, 2012, 07:38 AM   #3
jal5

Cases were prepped using the Pacific Durachrome 3 die set not a Lee set of dies. The taper crimp die is by Lee that I have. I must have messed up on the flaring step somehow with these cases, that is the only thing I can see.
I think my only remedy is to pull the ones I loaded but how do I correct the tension on the case mouths?

Several weeks ago I was prepping some 9mm cases to cut down to 9x18 size for the Makarov-
maybe these problem cases were actually deprimed and sized using the Mak die set which would be slightly bigger than the 9mm luger die set? That would cause the problem of poor tension at the mouth.

Joe
Old January 24, 2012, 07:48 AM   #4
Sevens

That would absolutely cause the problems you identified, but I would think a standard 9x19 die might save them -- but given how plentiful 9mm brass is, I certainly wouldn't bother. I'd just start with more 9mm brass.
Old January 24, 2012, 08:04 AM   #5
chris in va

Federal brass is infamous for being soft.

BTW 9mm MAK is not the same diameter as 9mm Luger, so probably the issue.
Old January 24, 2012, 09:28 AM   #6
armoredman

If you over crimped trying to get neck tension, you probably ruined the Berry's bullets - the plated bullets are not recommended for a lot of crimping, and Jay from Berry's told me that was the one thing that people do to get them frustrated with the bullet. I use an FCD on my Berry's, but lightly.
Old January 24, 2012, 09:45 AM   #7
serf 'rett

Correct me if I'm off base, but I've read several times that over crimping a bullet can actually deform the case enough to result in the loose bullet spin you have. I suspect this is also possible with a taper crimp die when used with too much force. In 9mm, the case should provide enough tension to secure the bullet, while the expansion of the case mouth is simply removed but not crimped like a revolver round.
Old January 24, 2012, 09:50 AM   #8
jal5

Thanks guys, I am always learning with this hobby, and glad for the advice from you experienced people! I think I will start over and mark the remaining brass more clearly as ready for 9mm Mak preparations. If the Berry's are marked up I can always put them in the range scrap bin for melting later.
I have lots of 9mm brass available too. Joe
Old January 29, 2012, 09:19 AM   #9
jal5

I started over with Win brass and had no problems with the Berrys 9mm reloads. Now I have to buy more Berrys or I just might try casting some for this application. I put those other cases aside and clearly marked them for 9x18 Mak use. Joe