The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old April 9, 2013, 09:13 AM   #26
jasnake65

When I ship guns, my ffl charges $20 his fee, $12.35 flat rate shipping with uspo plus you get a tracking number. Ammo has to ship ups only, $20 or less and you can ship that yourself
Old April 9, 2013, 09:47 AM   #27
Carmady

I just called FedEx, and the man said I could ship a firearm.

It must be shipped:
Overnight,
2-day, or
Express Saver

I think he said that since I don't have a FFL the package would have to go to someone who does have a FFL.

A few other things, but nothing like removing the barrel or FP.

That's good news.

FedEx: 1-800-463-3339
Old April 9, 2013, 10:54 AM   #28
dajowi

And this is one reason why I've never sold any gun over the internet. Too much hassle.
Old April 9, 2013, 12:28 PM   #29
dogtown tom

Quote:
dajowi And this is one reason why I've never sold any gun over the internet. Too much hassle.
Not too much hassle, just too much ignorance.

As easy as it is to find UPS/FedEx/USPS firearm shipping rules, it still amazes me when someone will post absolute drivel.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old April 9, 2013, 12:53 PM   #30
Zhillsauditor

Quote:

It must be shipped:
Overnight,
2-day, or
Express Saver
Their website says overnight only. I've had the local (25 miles away) FedEx charge me express saver one week ($30), then a month later tell me overnight only ($90). It isn't worth the time or hassle for me to drive that far to save $15 maybe. My FFL charges $45 to pack and ship; all I do is pay, give him my info and the address. Could be cheaper, but he is about a half a mile from my house and I can't beat the convenience.

Another option is to get your own FFL. It isn't that hard to do, but there is annual paperwork and records keeping.
Old April 9, 2013, 01:30 PM   #31
spacemanspiff

Boxjeff, you may want to go to pawn shops in your area and see if they are willing to help you out. If a pawn shop sells guns, they have a FFL.

Its been my experience that pawn shops charge considerably less to do the transfer than a gunshop does.
Old April 9, 2013, 02:31 PM   #32
wgsigs

Quote:

It must be shipped:
Overnight,
2-day, or
Express Saver

I think he said that since I don't have a FFL the package would have to go to someone who does have a FFL.
Quote:
When I ship guns, my ffl charges $20 his fee, $12.35 flat rate shipping with uspo plus you get a tracking number. Ammo has to ship ups only, $20 or less and you can ship that yourself

I've found that it is usually cheaper to find an FFL who charges a reasonable fee ($20-$30) and ships via fixed-rate Priority Mail than me shipping UPS or Fed-Ex because of the overnight or 2-day requirement. If the two guns are going to the same place, then I would think they would fit in one of the $12-$15 fixed rate Priority Mail boxes, but it is up to the FFL whether he charges his fee for each, or both, guns.

From my experience, $35 would have to be an almost perfect scenario, $20 FFL fee for both guns and $15 for Priority Mail box for both guns.

Last edited by wgsigs; April 9, 2013 at 02:37 PM.
Old April 9, 2013, 03:05 PM   #33
BigD_in_FL

Quote:
Its been my experience that pawn shops charge considerably less to do the transfer than a gunshop does.
Not around here, they want $75 to do a transfer because they sell new and used guns. Of course that have also had plenty of guns and ammo during these past months - and their prices are why
Old April 9, 2013, 07:06 PM   #34
Aguila Blanca
Staff

So as of post #13 at 6:23 p.m. the OP indicated he had shipped the goods, and 24-plus hours later we're still arguing about how to do it.

Old April 9, 2013, 09:01 PM   #35
wgsigs

Quote:
So as of post #13 at 6:23 p.m. the OP indicated he had shipped the goods, and 24-plus hours later we're still arguing about how to do it.
Not everybody is as observant as you. And we're not arguing, just stating different options and relating our experiences that could be of benefit to others. Besides the OP was not exactly clear in his post.
Quote:
UGh!

Got it don't(sic) with UPS. I think the GOVs objective here is to make everything difficult when dealing with firearms. I can ship fireworks eraser...
Old April 9, 2013, 09:40 PM   #36
keokeboy

shipping firearms

anyone out here,had old ww 2 firearms shipped to the states from hawaii ?
Old April 9, 2013, 10:00 PM   #37
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by keokeboy
anyone out here,had old ww 2 firearms shipped to the states from hawaii ?
Pretty much covered in this thread so far -- UPS or FedEx. But if they are rifles (or shotguns) they may be shipped USPS.

Of course, it looks like you might have interstate transfer issues as well, so federal law would generally require that they be shipped to an FFL so the FFL could do the transfer to you.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Old April 9, 2013, 11:43 PM   #38
625cnd

Ammo is heavy and will cost $
Most FFL charge their transfer fee and shipping costs to ship a gun.
And, using a USPS flat rate box and insurance is not all that bad for shipping costs.
Way less then next day air of USPS or UPS.
Old April 12, 2013, 12:15 PM   #39
Carmady

I just shipped a handgun through FedEx for $21.85, slightly under 5 pounds, two states away. I'm not a FFL licensee, but the recipient is.

It had to go by air, but they had three options for that. I took the cheapest. It's Friday, and the gun is scheduled for delivery on Wednesday.

Edit: iirc ALL FedEx stores won't do it, you have to call their 1-800 number to find the stores that will.
Old April 12, 2013, 12:47 PM   #40
jag2

I'm not suggesting or promoting anything illegal but this thread says the shipping rules are those of the companies, not the govt. I have shipped many various things over the years and I don't think I have ever been asked what is inside. If it is legal for me to ship a pistol to an FFL are the shipping police going to bust me? I can see where a rifle may be a little obvious but a pistol can be packed many different ways. So, is anyone going to admit they just shipped a "box" to someone?
Old April 12, 2013, 12:55 PM   #41
Cesure

Quote:
I'm not suggesting or promoting anything illegal but this thread says the shipping rules are those of the companies, not the govt. I have shipped many various things over the years and I don't think I have ever been asked what is inside. If it is legal for me to ship a pistol to an FFL are the shipping police going to bust me? I can see where a rifle may be a little obvious but a pistol can be packed many different ways. So, is anyone going to admit they just shipped a "box" to someone?
Is there a legal requirement to disclose the contents? To not lie if questioned? Is the shipper legally required to know the contents before shipping? How would this apply to ammo?
Old April 12, 2013, 02:15 PM   #42
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jag2
...I have shipped many various things over the years and I don't think I have ever been asked what is inside. If it is legal for me to ship a pistol to an FFL are the shipping police going to bust me?...
The UPS and FedEx tariffs cited by me above include a number of requirements the shipper must satisfy for the carrier to accept, transport and deliver a package containing a firearm. These are part of the contract between the shipper and the carrier.

As such if you ship something by UPS or FedEx and have not complied with those requirements, you have breached your contract with the carrier. One possible consequence is that if your shipment is lost or damaged, UPS or FedEx, as the case may be, would have legal grounds upon which to avoid any insurance claim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesure
...How would this apply to ammo?...
However, certain requirement regarding the shipment of ammunition are not purely the carrier's requirement. They are legal requirements arising from Department of Transportation regulations.

Additional information may be found here, here and here.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper

Last edited by Frank Ettin; April 12, 2013 at 03:54 PM. Reason: Clarify
Old April 12, 2013, 03:43 PM   #43
Dragline45

Quote:
And this is one reason why I've never sold any gun over the internet. Too much hassle.
I agree. With all the trouble you need to go through and shipping prices, it only costs me about $25 more to put on consignment in most cases.