The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old April 27, 2008, 12:36 PM   #1
Double Naught Spy

ISHOT1000 Match Results

On Saturday, 26 April 2008, the ISHOT1000 match was completed with a total of 14 shooters in Forestburg, Texas (north of DFW). First shots down range started about 8:45 am and the last shots were at 4:30 pm with a 1 hour break for lunch (450 rounds before lunch and 550 after). Mechanical problems causing guns to be unable to fire were considered to be malfunctions and were recorded. The goal here was not to diagnose the problem on the firing line, but to get a basic malfunction type identified and have the shooter clear the malfunction and continue to fire. Doing this quickly was important as stages were limited to 90 seconds for the 50 rounds required per stage (fired from 7 magazines). Every shooter was required to use 7 magazines per stage so that the numbers of magazine changes and slide lockbacks were kept standardized regardless of the platform being used.

The 90 second time limit here is a salient point. It was imposed to help assure the match progressed at a steady pace and to make sure shooters shot their guns sufficiently fast to heat the guns repeatedly and to keep shootings from trying to “game” the match by drawing out their 50 rounds into a several minute slow fire exercise to keep their guns cool. Shooters were permitted to exceed the time limit when it was obvious they were not trying to play the clock (such as because of malfunctions). Most shooters completed their stages in 60-75 seconds and a couple of shooters seemed to finish in less than a minute on a regular basis.

Overall, there was something of a bipolar distribution in performance. Eight of the guns suffered 3 malfunctions or less. The rest suffered 21-50 malfunctions. There were 3 guns that completed the COF of 1000 rounds with zero malfunctions. There were three guns that were DQ’d. No doubt that folks shooting reloads were at a severe performance disadvantage. The Glock 22 that DQ'd had a post mortem performed on it by the Glocksperts at the match and I believe it was determined that it had been way over lubed.

Environmental Factors – Temperatures ranged from the mid 50s in the morning to mid 70s by the late afternoon, about 50% humidity, sunny sky, but the range was mostly shaded via tree canopy.

All in all, the match turned out well. The participants came with good attitudes and had a good time. Strangely, after going the distance, few wanted to do any additional shooting even though most brought other guns for that purpose. While most of the attendees were from the DFW area, 1 shooter and guest came from the Austin area, 1 shooter from OKC, and 2 shooters made the 17 hour drive in from Phoenix for the match.

Issues of dirty guns...
Part of the reason to have guns run with malfunctions was to see how the guns performed over the course of 1000 rounds. Interestingly, guns fouling over time or drying out didn't seem to be an issue. Guns that ran well tended to run well over the entire 1000 rounds with malfunctions occurring more early than late (so dirty gun syndrome didn't appear to be a big factor). Guns running more poorly tended to experience problems throughout the match.

---------------
No shooters were injured in the undertaking of this endeavor, but range equipment seemed to have suffered a bit.

Correction...
ishtacka took some pics and they are posted at the following link.
http://ishtacka.spaces.live.com/

Be sure to check John's hand in pic 208 for a good idea of what 1000 rounds of 10 mm can do to your hand...but he refused medical assistance...LOL
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ISHOT1000 2008 Group Photo 1.JPG (209.3 KB, 533 views)
File Type: jpg ISHOT1000 Detailed Results Table med.JPG (125.5 KB, 1470 views)

Last edited by Double Naught Spy; April 29, 2008 at 06:34 AM. Reason: added correction and photo link
Old April 27, 2008, 05:26 PM   #2
JohnKSa
Staff

There were no parts breakages nor catastrophic failures during the match.

For those who think this was a horrible thing to do to a gun, I'll have some closeups showing high wear areas on my 10mm pistol from before and after the match. I haven't got the gun cleaned yet, had another match today but one that didn't require quite as much shooting...
Old April 29, 2008, 06:34 AM   #3
Double Naught Spy

The results table was updated in the OP with additional information.
Old April 29, 2008, 03:15 PM   #4
TINCUP AL

Just out of curiosity, how does "over lubing" a glock cause it to malfunction ? Thanks
Old April 29, 2008, 11:56 PM   #5
JohnKSa
Staff

It can cause various problems, in this case it caused a buildup of crud under the extractor which resulted in multiple failures to extract.

Normally that area would be dry and the crud wouldn't stick to it and build up--or at least it wouldn't build up nearly as much.
Old May 1, 2008, 07:36 PM   #6
JohnKSa
Staff

As promised, here are some closeups of my Glock 20 from before and after the match. Some people believed that firing 1000 rounds without cleaning would harm the gun so I took pictures to show the wear.

I can only do 3 attachments per post, so it will take a few posts to get them all shown. They're pretty uninteresting if you ask me.

There's some visible wear on the unlocking lug.

I tried to take the pictures under identical conditions, but the "after" pictures have a slightly greenish tint to them. Dunno what that's about, but it's some sort of artifact, the match didn't really tint my Glock barrel green.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Barrel Left_Small.jpg (100.1 KB, 1952 views)
File Type: jpg Barrel Right_small.jpg (106.4 KB, 1943 views)
File Type: jpg Barrel Top_Small.jpg (83.6 KB, 1944 views)
Old May 1, 2008, 08:05 PM   #7
JohnKSa
Staff

More of the same. Sorry about the bits of fuzz & lint. It's hard to see those with the naked eye but they really show up at 1200dpi.

I expected to see some wear on the rails but it was undetectable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dustcover_small.jpg (227.0 KB, 1955 views)
File Type: jpg Slide Rails_small.jpg (121.4 KB, 1932 views)
File Type: jpg Locking Block_small.jpg (105.0 KB, 1936 views)
Old May 1, 2008, 08:29 PM   #8
JohnKSa
Staff

Getting close to done...

You can see some finish wear on the inside of the slide where the barrel hood rubs.

There's more peening than there was.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Slide_small.jpg (72.9 KB, 1930 views)
File Type: jpg Slide_peening_small.jpg (74.1 KB, 1947 views)
File Type: jpg Firing Pin Safety_small.jpg (161.0 KB, 1936 views)
Old May 1, 2008, 08:52 PM   #9
JohnKSa
Staff

Last one...

You can see some wear marks on the side of the connector. This connector was brand new at the start of the match.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Small Parts_small.jpg (129.0 KB, 1939 views)
Old May 2, 2008, 05:48 AM   #10
Double Naught Spy

Checking the match data, JohnKSa's Glock had 500 rounds through it before the match.