The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 18, 2002, 10:03 AM   #26
snuffy

2 kinds

A great thread, but something that hasn't been mentioned should be cleared up.

There are two types of lee factory crimp dies being mentioned here. The rifle, or bottnecked dies work differently than the straight bodied handgun dies.

In the rifle dies, the crimp is applied by means of a collet that squeezes the mouth of the case at the very end, sort of a stab crimp. These dies can even crimp bullets that don't have a cannelure. They do not resize the shell body though, that only happens with the handgun dies.

In the handgun dies, the bottom of the die has a carbide ring in it. The crimping portion of the die consists of a taper crimper that is finely adjustable by means of the aluminum plug at the top. Any bulges, or in the case of an oversize bullet, are ironed out by the carbide ring. I use westcoast plated bullets in my glock 40, I can crimp them solidly with the FCD. Ocasionally, a thicker case or oversize bullet will cause a jam. The FCD works here to make them all the same size.

I use mine in a lee 4 hole turret press. With this press and extra turrets, the lee lock rings work just fine. Once adjusted they stay put just fine, and stay set up. If you are using a single stage press though, they are a pain because of the lack of a set screw.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old July 18, 2002, 04:41 PM   #27
vetts1911

Lee Dies

I used Lee for about 12 years and then switched to Hornaday set up. As for the gear it is okay I have worn out of few of there presses and if you load a great deal you will find out the saying you get what you pay for.

About this die here I have owned the die for pistol only and I really didn't see the accuracy thing but, the function was there. EGW makes a sizing die to take the bulge out and the die is made by Lee.

The service you get sucks from them but, there stuff is so cheap it is easier to just buy another one.