The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 1, 2009, 10:48 AM   #1
Homerboy

Sling stud for the Remington 870 and Mossberg 930 SPX

My Remington Express 870 came with the extended magazine tube. On the end of the barrel, there is a clamp that attaches the mag tube to the barrel. There is a hole in that clamp. I have seen a Marine version of the gun, and there is a stud attachment in that hole. I have a stud attachment on the Knoxx stock that I put on the gun. Any idea where to get that attachment that I saw on the Marine version?

Also, my Mossberg 930 SPX has the same problem. There is a stud attachment on the stock, but not on the front of the gun. what are the options for attaching a sling? I don't like the slings that wrap around the whole stock. I j
Old January 1, 2009, 01:10 PM   #2
jmr40

Most any good sporting goods store will have the Unkle Mikes sling stud kits. You will have to buy some parts that you do not need but cost shouild be around $5-$6. Most Walmarts carry them.
Old January 1, 2009, 01:39 PM   #3
longcall911

I use this sling mount: scattergun left side mount

It works well on my 930 spx especially considering the lack of alternatives. I don't like the butt wrap arounds either, and I've never warmed up to the single point slings.

/*tom*/

Last edited by longcall911; January 1, 2009 at 01:42 PM. Reason: fixed link
Old January 1, 2009, 06:24 PM   #4
Homerboy

The Uncle Mike's kits mean I would have to drill into the gun. I don't want to do that.
Old January 1, 2009, 07:43 PM   #5
4thPointofContact

The 930 and 870 share nearly identical barrel-to-tube dimensions and any front sling plate that fits the 870 will do fine on a 930.

I can second longcall911's opinion. The front sling plate works and the wraparound buttstock strappies are more trouble than their worth (Mine is tossed beneath the bad and will stay there more than likely). I've never noticed, nor been bothered by the sling going from beneath the buttstock to the side of the mag-tube, but if you think it may be a concern there are sling plates that hand down as well as angle off to one side or the other.
Old January 1, 2009, 10:45 PM   #6
Smitty in CT

Here are pics of mine with the GG&G side mount sling attachement....

If I had to do it over I would go with the bottom mount instead of the side because if you have to carry the shotgun for any length of time, using the side mount, the gun isn't comfortable.

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his." -- Gen. George Patton
Old January 2, 2009, 08:03 AM   #7
Homerboy

Smiity, which is the bottom mount version? The link provided has two types, but I don't know which is good for the 930. And could I screw that same one between the mag cap on the 870?
Old January 2, 2009, 07:04 PM   #8
Smitty in CT

Here's a link to the side mount by GG & G:

http://www.gggaz.com/index.php?id=78&parents=60,61

Here is the link to a side mount and vertical mount, too:

http://www.wilsoncombat.com/sa_slings_mounts.asp

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his." -- Gen. George Patton
Old January 2, 2009, 07:08 PM   #9
rantingredneck

Quote:
and there is a stud attachment in that hole.
Call Remington and order the sling stud. It installs fairly easily. Not sure how much the part costs but shouldn't be much.

That is, if you want the sling stud that fits in your already existing magazine extension clamp.

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old January 2, 2009, 07:20 PM   #10
MikeGoob

My 870 came without the swivel stud too and Remington said i had to buy one. They only sell the whole bracket for about 20 bucks so I never got it.

I never found anything that would work until I got my AR this year. Check out these sling pieces from YHM:

http://www.yankeehillmachine.com/store/slings.html

They should work
Old January 5, 2010, 10:59 PM   #11
agksimon

This link to Wilson Combat shows the Vertical mount for the 870. It fits my 930SPX perfectly.

http://www.wilsoncombat.com/sa_slings_mounts.asp
Old January 11, 2010, 05:53 PM   #12
KSDeputy

Sling for Remington 870

I recently bought a new 12 ga. Remington 870 tactical shotgun. It has places front and rear for the miniature sling swivels. In fact I bought a sling with the swivels at Dick's Sporting Goods. Was under $ 20.

Last edited by KSDeputy; January 11, 2010 at 05:54 PM. Reason: spelling error