The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old November 29, 2011, 11:11 PM   #1
Rambopants

Mosin Nagant Scout scope options?

I decided to start hunting with my 91/30. I don't wanna drill my receiver so im gonna get a UTG mount and a scout scope. The only problem is i don't know anything about Scout Scopes.... I want something i can shoot accurate up to 100 yards if that's even possible with these scopes. Please help! Thanks.
Old November 30, 2011, 10:19 AM   #2
OkieCruffler

Probably the best mount made for the M-N's. http://milsurpshooter.net/topic/3695...t-Availibility
And yes you're rifle would be good for 100 yrds and beyond.
Old November 30, 2011, 11:06 AM   #3
Rambopants

Whats the highest power scout scope I could use?
Old November 30, 2011, 02:41 PM   #4
benogil

Nothing wrong with the UTG trirail and a Ncstar LER scope combo.
May not be a Burris or Leupold, but many folks are pleased.
http://www.opticsplanet.net/ncstar-p...-spb2732b.html
Old November 30, 2011, 03:12 PM   #5
AirborneMosinFan

I'm getting away from the scout scope, it was no fun.

One of my two will stay the red dot I put on it and the other is getting this.

http://centerfiresystems.com/MNTMOI01.aspx

http://centerfiresystems.com/STKMOI01.aspx

I spend 130 on the finnish hex barrel and soon 100 to sporterize. For the accuracy and round I will get you can't buy that for 230 in anything else.
Old November 30, 2011, 05:14 PM   #6
AirborneMosinFan

If are set on the scout scope get from from s&k

They offer a military discount and I loved the product I recieved for my Arisaka and mosin.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/SKM9170-1.html

As for accurate up to 100 a red dot with do but any scope with a long eye relief of 8 inches will do just fine, alot of cheap pistol scopes work well my friend used this one with great success.

http://www.combatoptical.com/catalog...-ring-420.html
Old November 30, 2011, 06:18 PM   #7
OkieCruffler

I've used alot of NcStar scopes, destroyed a few of them. But not as many as you might think. Had a 2X20 that held up to everything I put it on, including my 444marlin scope eater. A good all around scope that won't break the bank too much is the Bushnell Trophy 2-6X.
Old December 3, 2011, 10:37 AM   #8
res45

I went with the S & K ring mount and NcStar 3 x 7 x 32 LER scope on my M44 the also make a Weaver rail version as well. My brother has the same setup on his 91/30 for about five years now and has no issues.
http://207.36.233.89/reviews/skm44scopemount/index.asp

Last edited by res45; December 3, 2011 at 10:42 AM.
Old December 3, 2011, 11:07 AM   #9
jimbob86

Why?

Quote:
The only problem is i don't know anything about Scout Scopes.... I want something i can shoot accurate up to 100 yards if that's even possible with these scopes. Please help! Thanks.
I have set up two rifles with the scout set-up, a Marlin 30A (X-S sight systems Leverscout mount and Burris 2.5X pistol scope) for my Eldest daughter, and a Ruger Frontier (2.5X Leupold on the factory rib).

A scout scope (or any scope) won't make your gun any more accurate: it will only make your target image larger...... If you can't hit a pie plate a 100 yards from field positions with the iron sights on your Mosin, making the pie plate appear larger to your eye won't help ....... The one thing a good scope has over the irons on the Mosin is repeatable adjustments to the aiming point- you move the aiming point of the irons with a hammer and brass drift punch......

All the scout scope mounting options for the Mosin I have seen look pretty flimsy, which cancels out the one really great quality of the Mosin: ruggedness.

The one really great quality of the scout scope set-up is handiness and speed of use, which is just silly on a rifle that is nearly 5 feet long......

I have a Mosin ........ I doubt I will put a scout scope on it. I'll spend the money on brass and bullets for practice, in an effort to shoot up to the accuracy of my rifle .........
Old December 3, 2011, 11:13 AM   #10
jimbob86

@res45:

That set-up seems very high for the comb height of the stock- make it hard to get a good cheek weld, no? (I realize it is not as bad as the original Russian scopes, which stuck up there like 3 or 4 inches.......)

I have an older .270 Remington that has a stock that was not designed for a scope...... I put a Beartooth Products neoprene comb raising kit on there.... now when I mount the gun, the scope reticle apears in front of my eyes, like magic........
Old December 3, 2011, 11:48 AM   #11
res45

I didn't really notice a problem with the cheek weld after installing the mount and scope the height is a little deceiving once you have the rifle in your hands,maybe it my facial structure or the way I shoot but it seem to work ok. I have a much higher Choate mount on Yugo SKS rifle and I shoot better groups with it than I do the Mosin.

I'm just an old country boy that used to put food on the table with my guns and learned to shoot what ever was put in my hands before the internet came along and told me I was doing everything the wrong way.

On a side note that group posted with the rifle was shot by two different individuals,myself two bullet holes directly to the right of the bull and one of my friends top three holes above mine that I reload,cast and shoot with so it seem the cheek weld isn't an issue for either of us.