The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old November 15, 2011, 03:20 PM   #1
Detachment Charlie

SMLE Fluted Handguard

My neighbor has inherited a SMLE. I got a quick look at it the other day and am going back later this week to really go over it. There were two oddities to this rifle. First it has flutes cut into the upper hand guard. The are machine cuts, obvious from their precision. Anyone ever seen these? Also, the tops of front sight protective ears are machine knurled. A little help here, also, please. Next, the barrel seems to extend more than the usual Mark I type, and it has some type of lug at either the 5 or 7 o'clock positions. Help!
This rifle appears to have been well cared for. The furniture is in excellent shape. However, there is no rondel on the stock.

Wanna play, "What's He Got," before I get a really good look at this piece later.

The U.N. is a criminal organization.
Old November 15, 2011, 04:47 PM   #2
wogpotter

The handguard groves were standard for quite a while. Savage kept putting them on right through at least 1943 because my '43 Savage #4 Mk 1* had grooved handguards. The alleged purpose was to allow a firm grip when bayonet fighting in muddy trench conditions.
Knurling on the ears was normal as well, but dropped later to save manufacturing steps during wartime.

Pictures would help of course, but could he have a CLE or MLE instead of a #1 SMLE?
All sorts of good information here:
http://www.enfieldrifles.ca/ri.htm

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old November 15, 2011, 05:26 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

It could be a Rifle No. 1, Mk VI, but it is more likely to be a Rifle No. 4, which is not an SMLE.

Jim
Old November 16, 2011, 02:42 AM   #4
LarryNTX

Sounds like a No.4 Mk1 with a stacking hook. I think the hook was a Turkish modification. I remember seeing a batch of them for sale at Century Arms a few years ago. Really need a picture, though.
Old November 16, 2011, 09:43 AM   #5
jsmaye

I have a '43 Fazakerley with the grooves, although time and rough handling has taken some of the "machined look" out of them.
Old November 16, 2011, 12:41 PM   #6
wogpotter

#4 Mk 1 (or 2) to give you a comparison. No stacking rod though. If fitted it would be bolted on as part of the front band just behind the muzzle & extend forward of the wood & metal of the stock, a bit like a second barrel below the real one.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old November 16, 2011, 04:46 PM   #7
P5 Guy

SMLE

#4 mk1
Sounds like it to me. where is the rear sight? At the rear of the receiver #4, at the front of the receiver #1.
The #4 has either a flip sight or a two position fully adjustable for elevation sight.
Old November 17, 2011, 07:30 AM   #8
madcratebuilder

Quote:
Next, the barrel seems to extend more than the usual Mark I type, and it has some type of lug at either the 5 or 7 o'clock positions
Bayonet lugs.

Not a SMLE but a No4 more than likely.

Does it look like this?