The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old September 12, 2000, 08:10 AM   #1
oberkommando

How many does it take? I was thinkin that maybe it should be raised, it seems like someone could have it after one battle on one thread, especially if that is healthcare, WOD, or boy scouts. Or maybe have something past senior member say after 1000 posts. Dont know I just got bored and decided to ask, someone else probably already did but my machine this morning is too damn slow to do a search so I have posted.
Maybe some name suggestions for the very senior amoung us.
Old September 12, 2000, 08:31 AM   #2
terridarri

It takes 15 post, and then your a senior, not citizen just a senior member.

------------------
WHEN IT COMES TO FRIENDS THE SKY IS NOT THE LIMIT
Old September 12, 2000, 09:35 AM   #3
FUD

<A HREF="http://www.thefiringline.com:8080/forums/showthread.php?threadid=30912" TARGET=_blank> </A>Click On Chart
Old September 12, 2000, 09:56 AM   #4
TheBluesMan
Moderator Emeritus

Too much work for very little benefit, IMHO.

Reputation, reliability and experience are what really count. Sheer numbers of posts are meaningless. Most members know whose advice they can trust just by reading the username.

The whole idea, I think, of the low number of posts required to become a "Senior Member," is to remove some of the perceived "status" of having a rare title associated with your name.

It's the quality of posts, not the quantity, that counts.
Old September 13, 2000, 02:24 AM   #5
oberkommando

FUD, I like it.

Bluesman maybe we can have a star system next to our names to indicate how well a secret panel of voters think our thread/replys are. An unknown sydicate like the government, or maybe a "STAR CHAMBER"

I still say at least raise it to 500 or 1000, if everyone hates you, odds are by then you will be sent to the principles office permanently.
Old September 13, 2000, 11:43 AM   #6
Mal H
Staff

ober - you like it?

I wasn't going to say anything, but now I've gotta. FUD, you've got to be kidding! It would virtually be impossible for anyone to be promoted to even a Junior Member if they have to have a minimum of 10% of the total posts. If there was a Charter Member, then he or she must be talking to themselves if they create 90 to 100% of the total posts.
Old September 13, 2000, 12:04 PM   #7
FUD

Mal, maybe I mis-labeled things a little but this is what I meant ...

... Right now there are about 6600 TFL members -- that would mean there would be 660 Charter members -- the member that had the highest number of posts, and the member after that and so forth and so on until we get to 660. The next 1320 members down would be Senior members. The next 2640 would be Members. The next 1320 would be Junior and the bottom 660 would be new members.

As a programmer, this would be a simple thing to put into the software and it could run once a day as a patch job late at night.

I'm not suggesting a hack-it job but something that the builders of the software might put into their software as a future feature.
Old September 13, 2000, 01:10 PM   #8
TheBluesMan
Moderator Emeritus

By all means, FUD, suggest it to them: http://infopop.com
Old September 13, 2000, 02:17 PM   #9
Mal H
Staff

Amazing what a minor change in labeling does, eh wot?

If you do make the suggestion to infopop (I can guarantee we aren't going to make it to them), you might want to change the term Charter Member to something else. A charter member is someone who was involved at the inception of an organization. There are only a handful of charter members of TFL and that will never change by definition.

Old September 13, 2000, 03:23 PM   #10
FUD

Mal & TheBluesMan, I'm actually putting together a MS-Word document outlining this suggestion to Infopop. I'm suggesting that they offer different member titles at the [0-10], [10-30], [30-70], [70-90] & [90-100] percentage levels with regard to either time since joining, or number of posts or a combination of the two (time on the board & number of posts) -- I'm recommending that these titles be something that can be configured by the host. Other options that I'm recommending are:<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI> option to run it once a day at a batch job during slow periods or update on the fly
<LI> have the percentage levels be something that can be configured by the host ... instead of [0-10], [10-30], [30-70], [70-90] & [90-100] a board could set the levels to be [0-20], [20-40], [40-60], [60-80] & [80-100] or [0-10], [10-20], [20-80], [80-90] & [90-100] or whatever the board would want to set it to.
<LI> Instead of the five levels that I outlined, have the number of levels be configured by the board -- instead of 5 levels ... 4 levels or 7 or 10 or whatever number of levels a board wants.
<LI> Etc.</UL>I'm a programmer/designer and if you think that some of my posts are lengthy, you should see the size of my letter to them -- it has charts, graphs, sample program logic, etc.