The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old April 17, 2008, 06:27 PM   #1
jtdominate

Eotech 552 Battery Options

What are the primary differences i the N Battery and alkaline models besides the obvious weight advantages of the N vs the convenience of the AA? Seems to be a $60 difference in price (the AA cost more). Is it worth it?
Old April 17, 2008, 08:22 PM   #2
mechdriver

N = 70 hrs
AA = 350 hrs

More info for comparison at
http://www.swfa.com/pc-1440-623-eote...ght-rev-f.aspx
Old April 18, 2008, 04:52 AM   #3
Martyn4802

The 552 uses "AA" batteries, and I use Lithium batteries for better life.
There are other EOTech models that use the "N" cells, but I wouldn't own one due to short battery life.
Old April 18, 2008, 09:22 AM   #4
rellascout

To me it is really about how much to you use your rifle and in what conditions and manner.

If it is a duty weapon then AA are worth the extra money upfront. If it is a range toy Zombie killer that sits in a safe 99% of the time I personally do not thing that you will recover the difference in the upfront cost.

N batteries are cheap if you know where to buy them and 70 hours for the average shooter is a lot of range time.

The other part that has not been mentioned is that the footprint on the rail is smaller in the 551 and this IMHO is better if you are going to co-witness the optic and BUIS.
Old April 18, 2008, 08:40 PM   #5
Ridge_Runner_5

I have the N model EOTech...put it in storage 3 weeks ago, sight turned on no problem...got it back yesterday and the batteries were dead...just drained in storage...
Old April 19, 2008, 12:09 PM   #6
jtdominate

Good to know.

Thanks for the input guys. Always great to hear various opinions.

I actually ordered a N, thinking that I would be using it occasionally at the range. I was sold on the more compact unit. I was wondering how the N would perform after sitting a few weeks. I ordered from Tacticalstore.com but they are backordered 4-6 weeks even though the the N model showed in-stock. Gotta hate that. I saw a few in FL last week but figured I'd beat the price online. I ordered a Blackhawk case, ear and eye protection and these guys had NONE of them in stock. What a waste of time. Anybody got any suggestions before I swallow retail in FL plus tax.