The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old November 20, 2004, 10:55 PM   #1
Clayton Hufford

Springfield shotgun

I Have a Springfield Arms single-shot, break open shotgun in .410 caliber that I need more information on.

The only markings are "Springfield Arms Company Chicopee Falls, Mass, U.S.A." marked on the left side of the receiver and "barrel and lug forged in one piece" marked on the left side of the barrel near the breech.

Barrel is blued steel, 26" long with brass bead front sight.

Stocks are hardwood, dark finish, with hard rubber serrated butt plate - no markings.

Receiver is case colored, with exposed hammer . Barrel locking lever opens to the right, and is checkered on the left side.

The only other marking is a small * on the right side of the receiver right about where the barrel and receiver mate at the chamber end.

No serial numbers visible, finish is very good, and the only part needed is a new screw that holds the firing pin in the receiver.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Clay

[email protected]
Old November 24, 2004, 09:20 AM   #2
johnbt

How old does this shotgun appear to be? I was thinking of a general answer as I read your post, but then I got to the part about the case-colored receiver and it stumped me. Serial numbers weren't required until 1968 and I don't recall seeing any new single-shot shotguns with case-colored receivers during the late 1950s or '60s (maybe we just looked at the cheap shotguns.)

Stevens in Chicopee Falls made guns with the Springfield name on them. Of course, Savage had bought Stevens in 1920 and there was a lot cross branding and shared ideas over the years.

I really need to hit the road. Happy Thanksgiving. I'll ask my dad - he remembers the 1920s.

John
Old November 24, 2004, 09:45 PM   #3
Clayton Hufford

Hey John,

I really couldn't say how old. I would guess 1930's-1940's.

Thanks for your help,
Clay
Old November 25, 2004, 05:12 AM   #4
Steven Mace

Clay, I think your shotgun was known as the Savage/Stevens/Springfield Model 95 single-shot shotgun.

Steve Mace
Old November 25, 2004, 09:25 AM   #5
Clayton Hufford

Very close but no cigar.

The trigger guard is different, as is the way the firing pin is retained. The lock release is quite different, too.

Thanks,
Clay
Old November 25, 2004, 05:23 PM   #6
Parmour

a rose by any other name.....

http://www.e-gunparts.com/model.asp?idDept=235
http://www.savageparts.com/
Hey Clayton,
Try the above links. You will probably find your shotgun you have been looking for at one or the other.
It is hard to tell the difference between a lot of these older guns that are Springfield/Savage/Stevens.
They are sometimes the same gun with a different model name and number depending on who sold them. Western Auto and Sears would buy them and further complicate it by giving them new model numbers and model names. You gun you are lookin for can probably be found in several different areas. Just take some time and look through the ones that you think could be yours and you will find it. Good luck and let us know about it when you find it.Later, phil
Old November 25, 2004, 10:19 PM   #7
Clayton Hufford

Thanks Phil! I'll give it a go and see if I can locate it.

Clay