The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 5, 2014, 01:40 PM   #1
cannonballmount

Wow! I found a "sunburst" pattern pump gun stock...

I acquired this old but nice "Stevens Browning 621 shotgun (with real Ivory beads on the matted rib yet) for just $100.00 but what really attracted me was the fantastic "sunburst" pattern stock! The stock needs refinished for sure, but how do I do this the very best way to preserve that fantastic pattern?

I bought a "Birchwood Casey Bluing & Gun Stock Finishing Kit" but is this the very best way to go? I have used "Birchwood Casey chemicals on bronze sculpture patina work, it has proven fantastic, but there is a lot of wood finishes out there.

How do I proceed?
Old April 5, 2014, 03:03 PM   #2
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

The Tru-Oil may be all you need, as some Stevens guns were not stained, and just finished it to a natural color with an oil finish.

Any checkering can be cleaned out using a finish remover, and a soft bristled tooth brush, then the stock can be sanded, but don't remove any checkering. Sand the wood up to at least 400 grit, but I prefer to go on to 600, where it is glass smooth before applying finish, though 400 is almost there. Rub the finish in by hand, at least three coats, but sometimes more, up to five, according to how porous the wood is. Allow the finish to dry between coats, and after its dry, go over it with 0000 steel wool, then wipe down to remove the dust before applying the next coat. The steel wool will take down any roughness, and small bubbles (if any). If the grain raises after the first coat, knock it back down with 400-600 grit paper, then wipe down before the 2nd coat.

If there are any deep dents, you'll have to raise them with a wet cloth and an iron, and if they can't be raised, you'll need to fill them with epoxy. Any oil staining, (generally on the grip), can be removed by holding a rag in place on the stain which is soaked in bleach. Keep a check on the bleaching, and remove it before it gets too white, as it doesn't take long.
Old April 5, 2014, 05:19 PM   #3
cannonballmount

Sounds good.

You indicate that Tru-Oil will show the "Sunburst" wood grain pattern off about as good as any finish around eh? I'm about to give it a try. Thanks for the sand grit reminder. Leaving fine scratches and/or hiding the fantastic grain pattern with an opaque finish has me nervous.
Old April 5, 2014, 05:36 PM   #4
PetahW

FWIW, the only time I've touched sandpaper to a gunstock, over the past 25 years & maybe 40 stock refinishing jobs, was on a repaired area.

I just use Homer Formby's Furniture Refinisher (liquid, @ home Cheapo, etc) to wipe off the old finish, then stain the stock after an overnite drying - applying a coat of TruOil on the 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th & 7th day, rubbing the finish down to bare wood between coats with a new pad of 0000 steel wool (a magnet removes any steel dust).

Be sure to apply the TruOil, and let it dry, in a dust/lint/draft free area (I built a simple curtained enclosure to hang stocks in for drying/curing)