The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 7, 2002, 12:59 PM   #1
Blue Duck357

Changing powders (getting it all out)

My powder hopper in my SDB is about empty and I'm ready to switch to a new type.

Dillion does not give any specific intructions for the switchover. I'm guessing just dump the bit left in the hopper and run several cases through to get any excess out? Anything else I need to do???

Thanks for any help,

Blueduck
Old September 7, 2002, 05:13 PM   #2
rick_reno

Powder change

Dumping it out will not get all the powder out. You'll have a charge or two "somewhere else" after you dump out what you can see in the hopper - and to get it all out simply hold the powder hopper up (like it sits on the machine) and cycle the powder bar a few times. That will get all the powder out. I'm assuming you have the powder hopper off the machine (for dumping it out) - be careful when cycling the bar that white plastic collar sleeve that is up inside the hopper doesn't fall out and into your powder can. It's not a problem if it falls out, it just slides back in - but it can be tricky to get it out of a powder can.
Old September 7, 2002, 06:05 PM   #3
Blue Duck357

Thanks a lot Rick

Glad you responded. I was using a very small charges of 700x and it actually took almost a dozen cycles of working the charge bar to get it all out after dumping. Much easier than putting it back on and doing it the way I was planning with cases.

Thanks again,

Blueduck
Old September 10, 2002, 09:18 AM   #4
MADISON

Changing powders (getting it all out)

Like it oor not, all powder measures have static electricity, holding the powder. I use a lead pencil or a 1/2 inch paint brush [with a wood handle] to TAP THE SIDE OF THE MEASURE. It should release the particles and pore right out.