The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 24, 2012, 09:03 AM   #1
BerdanSS

Hornady FPB. Anyone try or like them?

Got some in 300 gr .50 last night. I was scanning the massive BP aisle at the outdoorsman SS and saw a pack of 15 for 16.99. At the checkout they rang up for $5.99 Honestly I've never seen or even heard of these before....anyone out there use them? Like it or hate them.
Old November 24, 2012, 11:02 PM   #2
BerdanSS

Well I went out and shot a pack of these this morning after an early lunch of thanksgiving reheats. Ahead of 80gr of FF pyrodex they group well, and shot clean. I will say while I could easily dispatch a whole bag of bad oranges at random distance from 15-70 yards, without effort as fast as I could reload.....I really did not find them to load easy, pretty irritating at times really. Not like the smooth and easy loading power belts and maxi hunters.

Power wise....the last one I fired for the day, at the longest distance I can squeeze out of my range (about 73 yards) hit home dead center of the target and made a caverness, downright explosive hole in the tree stump the target was attached to.

While pretty good at $0.39 each...I'll be sticking to the 295gr PB areo tips for anything serious.

Old November 24, 2012, 11:09 PM   #3
Beagle333

I have never heard of them, but that's a pretty mushroom ya got there.
Old November 24, 2012, 11:18 PM   #4
FrontierGander

shot great in my traditions LDR but by the time you got them in, your balls were in your boots LOL. Extremely hard loading.
Old November 25, 2012, 11:40 AM   #5
thallub

i like the 350 grain Hornady FPB bullet had have killed several large hogs with it. My Encore makes 2.5-3.0" groups at 100 meters using the FPB and 120 grains of 2F Pinnacle powder.

There is a knack to loading the FPB bullets. They load much easier in a rifle with a QLA or Bullet Guiding Muzzle.

Center the FPB bullet in the muzzle of the gun making sure its not canted. Give the short starter a hard slap with the heel of the hand: This will get the bullet seated into the rifling. It will now load much easier.