The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old July 31, 2013, 02:22 PM   #1
bmadddd7

Legal to have stripped lower shipped to CT

Anybody know if it is legal to have a stripped lower shipped to CT? I have been looking through the recently passed law and I don't see anything about it... Help please
Old July 31, 2013, 02:48 PM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

The lower is the firearm. Whatever law applies to the firearm applies equally to the lower.
Old July 31, 2013, 03:37 PM   #3
ripnbst

*Sigh* I am considering a job in CT and DESPISE the gun laws there. You crazies up there(broad stroke I know) are PROUD of having the least constitutional gun laws in the country. It's nearly enough to make me not even consider it. I am waiting to see if it comes down to an offer how much they are willing to pay.

I was doing some research and there are a very select few rifles that are on the *approved* list. If I were to buy a lower I would make darn sure it was a component of one of the *approved* rifles. Quite frankly because I'd be so concerned about breaking some dumb law I didn't know existed I'd probably forego the building of an AR. Despite the savings, learning, and fun that it would be it's not worth the risk. I've built two living here in OK, I'd sell one and give my better one to my brother for safekeeping out of state.
Old July 31, 2013, 04:37 PM   #4
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripnbst
I was doing some research and there are a very select few rifles that are on the *approved* list. If I were to buy a lower I would make darn sure it was a component of one of the *approved* rifles.
"Approved list"? What approved list?

To the best of my knowledge, Connecticut does not have an "approved" list. Their new revisions to their previous AWB changed the definition of an assault weapon from a "two-evil-feature" criterion to a "one-evil-feature" criterion. The OLD rule was the same as the 1994 federal AWB -- a detachable magazine plus one other feature from a list. For AR-15 pattern rifles, the protruding pistol grip was the second feature.

Connecticut has now dropped it to one feature only, so if you have a pistol grip you can't have a detachable magazine, or if you have a detachable magazine you can't have a protruding pistol grip (or a thumb hole stock).

I think buying or importing into Connecticut a stripped lower at this time would be either a VERY grey area, or just plain illegal. Since it is not legal to buy or import an "assault weapon" (per their definition) in Connecticut, if you bring in the lower you can't build it into an AR-15, so what good is it?
Old July 31, 2013, 05:37 PM   #5
bmadddd7

Why do you think I would get a stripped lower shipped in... To just look at it? It is the only regulated part of an AR and if I can get my hands on that then I can build one. These laws are a crock.

Last edited by Brian Pfleuger; July 31, 2013 at 06:48 PM.
Old July 31, 2013, 05:42 PM   #6
bmadddd7

UPDATE: I have been contacting many FFL's around my area and about half of them said they will accept the transfer of a stripped lower... I don't know if that is legal or not but they are saying so so I'm going to do it in the near future
Old July 31, 2013, 06:04 PM   #7
Coach Z

Be very careful. While they may do it the onus is still on you for receiving it. I've been trying to figure out for a month now what's legal to buy and not and can't get any consistent answers and the state agencies will not answer questions.

Total fubar
Old July 31, 2013, 06:16 PM   #8
bmadddd7

But I mean how in the world would anyone find out if I successfully transferred and received the stripped lower?
Old July 31, 2013, 06:38 PM   #9
Coach Z

I reside most of the time in ct. There is the state form in addition to the 4473. Four copies go out. Your municipality Hartford the dealer and I believe the fourth is staties. Can't recall off the top of my head but while there isn't a formal "registry" it's all on record and whatever you build will have to be registered as an assault weapon.
Old July 31, 2013, 06:44 PM   #10
Coach Z

Sorry for the phone screen grab but here it isImageUploadedByTapatalk1375314209.347854.jpg

Dept of emergency services and public protection
Old July 31, 2013, 06:56 PM   #11
bmadddd7

I understand that but do you really think they would pursue me for that or even review the form? Idk maybe it's not worth it... Not sure yet
Old July 31, 2013, 07:18 PM   #12
Daugherty16

Worth the Risk?

They probably won't have the manpower or the incentive to review, follow up and pursue you. But possession of the built rifle, or "part or parts that can be readily assembled into an assault weapon" (close enough) is a class B felony, or is it a class A felony, punishable by big fines and mandatory sentencing of 2 years or 1 year (you'd have to look it up), which CANNOT be waived or commuted. So, you get away with it for a while, but in the Connecticut your neighbor might see you cleaning your evil black rifle through a window, and being a "good citizen" he reports you and voila! you could have an expensive, difficult to defend, problem. Oh yeah, a conviction will bar you from legally owning firearms for life.

Yeah, i would suggest you weigh the risks and instead of trying to beat the system, focus on trying to get this idiotic law repealed.
"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness... How pathetic." - - Ted Nugent

"Cogito, Ergo Armitum Sum" - (I Think, Therefore I Am Armed)- - anon.

Last edited by Evan Thomas; July 31, 2013 at 07:35 PM. Reason: political invective.
Old July 31, 2013, 07:23 PM   #13
bmadddd7

I'm trying my man, support the NSSF!! Inform the NRA and try to get them involved.
Old July 31, 2013, 08:41 PM   #14
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmadddd7
Why do you think I would get a stripped lower shipped in... To just look at it? It is the only regulated part of an AR and if I can get my hands on that then I can build one. These laws are a crock.
Not legally you can't. Once you build it, it will be an "assault weapon" as far as the State of Connecticut is concerned. You didn't legally own it -- in Connecticut -- as of April 5, 2013, the date their new laws became effective. Ergo, unless their new laws are struck down, you simply cannot obtain by buying, importing, or building any new firearm that fits their definition of "assault weapon."

You may or may not be able to convince an FFL to transfer a lower to you. Maybe. If you complete it, you will instantly be a felon.

Quote:
I understand that but do you really think they would pursue me for that or even review the form? Idk maybe it's not worth it... Not sure yet
What do you think the State Police do with those forms, stick 'em in a box without looking at them?

Quote:
I'm trying my man, support the NSSF!! Inform the NRA and try to get them involved.
The NRA knows and is involved. The NRA is participating in the lawsuit against the new laws, filed by the CCDL and several individual plaintiffs.

Last edited by Aguila Blanca; July 31, 2013 at 08:47 PM.
Old July 31, 2013, 08:47 PM   #15
bmadddd7

And how will they know when I obtained the rifle? I have two AR's that I purchased before the law and I have nooo idea how to register them or whatever nonsense the law makes us big bad law abiding citizens do.
Old July 31, 2013, 08:52 PM   #16
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
And how will they know when I obtained the rifle? I have two AR's that I purchased before the law and I have nooo idea how to register them or whatever nonsense the law makes us big bad law abiding citizens do.
They could start by looking it up in their database, which they compile using those DPS-3 forms that were linked to a couple of posts above. Of course, IF you ever lived in another state you could have bought it elsewhere without having had a DPS-3 submitted but, since you're going to have it transferred through a Connecticut FFL, they'll have the exact date you acquired it right at their fingertips.

The form to register the ones you already have is available for download on the State Police web site.
Old August 2, 2013, 09:15 PM   #17
Conn. Trooper

Any FFL doing that transfer is asking to get their license yanked. And if I was considering doing something illegal, I sure as heck wouldn't post it on a public gun board.
Old August 2, 2013, 09:25 PM   #18
JohnKSa
Staff

This stopped being about what is legal awhile back and is now focused on whether or not the OP will be caught for breaking the law...

We've strayed a little too far away from the concept that TFL was founded on, i.e. "the discussion and advancement of responsible firearms ownership".