The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 17, 2002, 08:56 PM   #1
knowledgegreen

1911 Grip Safety Problem

My father-in-law recently purchased a used Colt 1991A1 Compact. The pistol fires fine, but when the grip safety is not depressed the trigger can still be pulled allowing the hammer to strike the firing pin (not actually chambering a live round). Essentially the grip safety is not doing its job at all. Oh, by the way, this pistol has a series 80 firing pin block system. So, what do you folks think the problem could be? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Old January 18, 2002, 08:52 AM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

knowledgegreen, the first question I'd ask is if the safety is "resetting", coming all the way back out of the frame. It might just be that the safety leg of the sear spring needs to be bent outward a little more. There could be a burr keeping the safety from resetting and engaging. The safety could just need to be replaced or the finger could be stretched and then there's the chance that the trigger bow has been bent. I haven't seen this happen with a standard trigger but I had a guy last year who wanted a dlask ultralight trigger installed. I put it in for him and the first thing he did when he came by to pick up the gun was to "test" the grip safey by pushing the trigger to the rear as hard as he could without engaging the safety. I guess I said, "Don't do that!" a second late. Bent the trigger bow and the safety would not engage. That was an ultralight trigger with a very thin bow. I'd recommend a trip to your local smith and have him check it out. George