The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old June 28, 2012, 04:57 PM   #1
Drummer101

Not even allowed to apply...

Went to the police station during lunch (only open from 8-4pm) to get a purchase permit.

They said I could not apply because I was not a Winona resident (chefs rules they said).

Now I have been going to school here for 3 years, had an apartment for 2 years and working during those 2 years in winona. Even brought in my lastest utility bill.

But on my licence it still has my parents address in the Twin Cities.

According to the US Census I am a Winona resident.

They would not do anything.

Going to go in again tomorrow and ask to see the Sheriff or someone else.

I am not going to go back home on a week day till at least Thanks Giving more maybe Christmas.

Push comes to shove I will get someone else to buy it for me and get it off of them. It would not be a straw purchase because I am legally able to buy it in the first place.

Just in a bad mood and very hungry.
Old June 28, 2012, 05:00 PM   #2
aarondhgraham

How about,,,

Simply updating the address on your drivers license.

Technically that's what you should have done years ago anyways.

It would solve your problem properly,,,
Don't you think?

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old June 28, 2012, 05:03 PM   #3
Drummer101

I am going to school in winona, I dont want my licence to say something that is going to last less than a year.

I am not going to change it every year when I change apartments.

My old licence also just expired last week so I still have the yellow slip.
Old June 28, 2012, 05:03 PM   #4
KenL

Why don't you just get a driver's license with the address where you're currently living and re-apply? Seems like that would be the easiest solution.

Oops, Aarond beat me to it.

If you don't want to change your driver's license, my guess is that you're out of luck. The driver's license is your "legal address" in the eyes of the law.
Old June 28, 2012, 05:20 PM   #5
Sparks1957

Quote:
Now I have been going to school here for 3 years, had an apartment for 2 years and working during those 2 years in winona
It follows, then, that you should have had your driver's license updated. As far as LE is concerned, your DL address is your legal address.

The solution is really simple.
Old June 28, 2012, 05:24 PM   #6
Drummer101

But I think that would also mean I need to change my passport and I dont have the time to wait for a new one.

Last edited by Drummer101; June 28, 2012 at 05:31 PM.
Old June 28, 2012, 05:35 PM   #7
eldorendo

Quote:
But I change addresses every year and am still legally dependent upon my parents.
You're arguing with yourself. Sounds like the police in Winona read your situation correctly. Where do you vote? What's the address on your driver's license, etc., etc.?? If you want to change your address, do something that any other adult would do and change your residency.
Old June 28, 2012, 05:41 PM   #8
Drummer101

Vote in Winona (just bring in a utility bill and student ID), and part of the cencus it is a felony to say I am not a winona resident (had to do it my freshman year in the dorms).

Students do not need to change their addresses.

I could go down, change my address, then the next week change it again. But that is $50 to get a permit that should be free.
Old June 28, 2012, 05:51 PM   #9
James K
Member In Memoriam

"Push comes to shove I will get someone else to buy it for me and get it off of them. It would not be a straw purchase because I am legally able to buy it in the first place."

I think it would be very iffy (and you are not able to legally buy it, because you can't get approval) and could get you and the someone else in trouble. Be patient.

Jim
Old June 28, 2012, 05:51 PM   #10
Kreyzhorse

Your DL should be updated to reflect your physical address pretty simple don't you think?

The police seem to be following the law while you aren't. I actually find it hard to believe that you are upset over this.
Old June 28, 2012, 05:53 PM   #11
Dilbert

Last time I checked, your passport doesn't have an address on it. It would still be a straw purchase if someone else bought a gun for you. Read question 11a on the 4473. Just go update the address on your license.
Gun Control-gun con·trol n. definition 1. The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker received that fatal bullet wound. 2. The ability to hit what you are aiming at.
Old June 28, 2012, 05:57 PM   #12
lee n. field

Quote:
But on my licence it still has my parents address in the Twin Cities.
Get a new driver's license.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old June 28, 2012, 05:57 PM   #13
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer101
Push comes to shove I will get someone else to buy it for me and get it off of them. It would not be a straw purchase because I am legally able to buy it in the first place.
If you were legally able to buy a firearm in the first place, you wouldn't have made the post that opened this discussion.
Old June 28, 2012, 06:03 PM   #14
Crankgrinder

Ill put it to you this way. I live in Texas, we have some of the greatest firearms laws i feel. However, I went to my lgs to pick up a rifle I ordered and payed the ffl for. I live in a leased house, so my dads address is the one on my dl because leases here go for 1 year at a time. Long story short I was forced to change the address on my license with the dps (dmv) before i could have my rifle, though i still live in the same city much less the same state. That DL is whats keeping you i think.
Old June 28, 2012, 06:07 PM   #15
Drummer101

I am going to go in tomorrow with my lease papers. That should be enough.
Old June 28, 2012, 06:23 PM   #16
BarryLee

So, do students usually get an updated drivers’ license when they go to college? I can see why you would not want to do this, but I can also see why they won’t issue a permit.

If your permanent residence is in the Twin Cities why don’t you just get the permit there?
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old June 28, 2012, 06:29 PM   #17
Drummer101

I am not going back there during a weekday (when they are open) till the end of December or so. I work Monday through Friday at my internship. and July 4th is on a Wednesday.

For students the residence is considered temporary and dont need new licences.

I am not going to get a new one.

I probably just wont get it. Which is sad.
Old June 28, 2012, 06:52 PM   #18
Master Blaster 2

Doesn't seem OP wants the licence that bad. In my state you have to have a DL with current legal address. Jury Duty is generated off that too. You can't carry on campus anyway. You dont need it.
Old June 28, 2012, 07:13 PM   #19
buck460XVR

.....ain't no good gun shops in Winona anyway.
Old June 28, 2012, 07:16 PM   #20
Drummer101

I try to take what I am given

Originally I thought it only mattered what state you are in.
Old June 28, 2012, 07:17 PM   #21
MLeake

I don't know about Minnesota, but it seems to me that the various states where I've lived required a DL update within 30-90 days of a move.

I also think that, assuming the OP is listed (for tax purposes) as a Winona resident, it's foolish for the OP to allow a $50 DL fee and some waiting time at the DMV to prevent him from buying a firearm.

Seems the OP doesn't really want the purchase permit that badly.
Old June 28, 2012, 07:19 PM   #22
Drummer101

I am a student so I do not need to change my residence legally. Otherwise a lot of students would be in trouble

But it does not seem right to give the state $50 of my own money for something that should be free because the chef had a bad day that day or something and made that a rule.

I still have another year of school. And then a move to where my first real job is.
Old June 28, 2012, 07:39 PM   #23
MLeake

It probably isn't the chief having a bad day, it's probably the chief following a standing department policy. (Note that so far, all posters in this thread don't have a problem with such a department policy, either.)

Shell out the $50, spend an hour at the DMV, and your problem is solved - at least for this year.

Just because, as a student, you don't have to do something, doesn't mean there will never be circumstances where you might be better off doing the thing voluntarily, anyway.

FYI, you might be surprised how many more moves life may have in store for you, depending on work, family situations, etc. I've lived at 20 addresses, over the years, not counting APO addresses; 5 different places during childhood, 15 as an adult. (Navy brat, then Navy officer, and now defense contractor.)

Updating addresses and paperwork is a pain - and you'd just love the paperwork involved for security clearance updates, should you ever get a job requiring a clearance. (List ALL addresses you've lived in over the last ten years; provide contact information for a person who knew you at each address. List ALL employers over the last ten years; list supervisor's name and contact info... you get the idea.)

You'll find that $50 and a trip to the DMV is nothing in the big scheme.
Old June 28, 2012, 07:45 PM   #24
jmhyer

Sorry, I'm just a guy from Mississippi, but...What's a purchase permit? Is that to say that, in your state, you gotta get permission to even go buy a gun?
Old June 28, 2012, 07:50 PM   #25
Drummer101

Need one here to get a handgun...

Already have a few rifles and shotguns I bought from stores.
Closed Thread